Author Topic: Book Reviewers  (Read 2410 times)

Offline arkadian

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Arkadian Scribe
Book Reviewers
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »
Aside from the BFS, can anyone recommend some book reviewers who are happy to give an honest review of heroic fantasy books? I've been given a list of over 450 potential reviewers from across the globe, but out of the 180+ I've had time to look at so far, only 5 said that they were prepared to review fantasy and two of those weren't overly enthusiastic. Sadly the 3 that were are too snowed under to accept new requests. It's all getting a bit depressing. I'm willing to post free print copies to anyone I can find willing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Destiny of the sword (The chronicles of Arkadia - Book one)

www.jeffajones.blogspot.co.uk

www.chroniclesofarkadia.co.uk

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Book Reviewers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 04:42:46 PM »
Your best chance is when a book is still new, but there's a thread with some ideas here: http://www.britishfantasysociety.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1877.0. Maybe a Goodreads giveway might get your book to the right people?

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
Arkadian, I would assume that fantasy genre is in the same state as the horror genre with far too many books being published.  Even with a team of around 10 reviewers i can't keep up with all the review requests.  Personally I am more  open to requests from writers who i have engaged with on Social media.  not favouritism as such, more akin to getting to know what they are like.  Maybe engage them online without mentioning your book, before submitting a request. 

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:53:28 PM »
I've found there are several stages to being a reviewer. First you're grateful for anything that is offered to you for review, then you start actively requesting books by authors you know you really want to read & review, then authors & publishers start contacting you, asking if you'd please consider reviewing their book. Once deep into that third stage, the reviewer soon finds he has a backlog so huge that he has to try really hard to avoid accepting anything else for fear of letting people down. I currently have books that I specifically requested review copies of over a year ago that I still haven't managed to get to. The best thing I can say is send your book to Craig Lockley, the BFS Indie publisher reviews editor & he'll make it available to everyone on the team, but there's certainly no guarantee that it'll be picked up soon, if ever. I'd recommend sending an electronic copy, rather than print, although some reviewers still prefer print.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 06:33:42 AM »
One benefit of supplying an ebook is that it doesn't take up any room. I have to clear out the print review copies every year or so, but I keep all the pdfs and ebooks, and I do occasionally review something that's been sitting around for a while.

Offline arkadian

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Arkadian Scribe
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys, it's much appreciated. It's tough out there!!
Destiny of the sword (The chronicles of Arkadia - Book one)

www.jeffajones.blogspot.co.uk

www.chroniclesofarkadia.co.uk

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »
One benefit of supplying an ebook is that it doesn't take up any room. I have to clear out the print review copies every year or so, but I keep all the pdfs and ebooks, and I do occasionally review something that's been sitting around for a while.

Also, while I may feel slightly more guilty if I don't get to an actual paper review copy due to the expense of sending those out, I'm way less likely to misplace an electronic copy before I find the time to get to it. Once it gets into the heaps on top of the boxes, in front of the piles, on top of the boxes, in front of the shelves, it becomes a near impossible task to find it again.