Author Topic: FantasyCon 2016  (Read 7115 times)

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
FantasyCon 2016
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »
Yes, yes, I know 2015 hasn't been and gone yet...  ;D

However, as some of you may have noticed in Journal #14, I'm open to bids for FCon 2016. Already had a couple of good ones through but I thought I'd mention it on here and spread the news.
Just fire me an email for more info, if you have a proposal or even just the beginnings of a proposal to discuss: chair@britishfantasysociety.org
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:38:44 PM by Phil Lunt »

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyCon 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:51:58 PM »
No proposal from me - I wouldn't be in a position to work on something like running a con - but I just wanted to say it would be great to see it being held further up north again - like the one in York the other year. Somewhere mid-UK, like Leeds or Manchester, would be handy!  ;)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »
I agree, Manchester would be good. I suspect there will be many people suggesting Brighton or somewhere on the south coast. How about Portsmouth? Then we could all traipse around HMS Victory :-)

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
I agree, Manchester would be good. I suspect there will be many people suggesting Brighton or somewhere on the south coast. How about Portsmouth? Then we could all traipse around HMS Victory :-)

Manchester would possibly be 'too' good for me, I could sleep in my own bed!! :D

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:41:06 PM »

Manchester would possibly be 'too' good for me, I could sleep in my own bed!! :D

Don't knock it

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
Edinburgh and try and time it ti fit in with the book festival

Offline neilw

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • neilwilliamson
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 12:38:29 PM »
Jim - Tie in with the book festival is a nice idea but you'd never get hotel space duing August in Edinburgh, for any money let alone anything approaching affordable.

Neil

Offline littlepurplegoth

• Global Moderator
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
Would it be worth surveying membership/attendees about having a Scottish convention one year - maybe 2017/18 rather than 2016!! It occurs to me that Manchester is still a very long way south if you live anywhere over the border, and especially if you are up in the highlands or beyond!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »
The President did a survey of the membership last year, and one of the questions he asked members was where they'd prefer events to be held. 52% of respondents rated London a four or five. Other locations attracted that level of interest as follows: York (33%), Birmingham and the Midlands (31%), Brighton (30%), Manchester (21%), Leeds (20%), Nottingham (18%), Cardiff (16%) and Glasgow (14%). But I could see it happening in Scotland, it would just need someone who wanted to organise it wanting to organise it there.

Offline neilw

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • neilwilliamson
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:15:59 AM »
Eastercon is held in Glasgow pretty regularly, so it's far from impossible. As Stephen says, it just needs a con organiser with a will to take it up there.

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
I've always said that I don't really care where it is so long as it is on or very near the Aberdeen to London rail spine. 

Nottingham is proving to be a right pain for me to get to.  It will take longer for me to get there than it does to travel to London. 

Offline DarkFlights

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
I'd vote Midlands/Nottingham, but that's because I'm lazy and live nearby. Derby would be even better, Chesterfield would be fantastic!  ;)

But given that it's 2016 we're talking about, that's enough time to plan the logistics no matter where it's held.

Offline IanH

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
Nottingham is fine for me, flight from Glasgow to East Midlands then hop on the bus, but then again, I liked Brighton, flight to Gatwick then hop on the train. My only quibble about Manchester is the cost of staying there that I've heard from some folk going to Eastercon next year.

Offline littlepurplegoth

• Global Moderator
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 07:44:32 PM »
Hello people - I'm pleased to announce that we've agreed dates & locations for fantasy con 2016.

Please see www.fantasyconbythesea.com for more info, & there will be a full new thread & articles at a later date.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:46:23 PM by littlepurplegoth »