Author Topic: BFS Journal Editor Role...  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
BFS Journal Editor Role...
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:41:40 AM »
Mr Stuart Douglas is stepping down from the role of Journal Editor after kindly stepping in and helping out, yet again, late last year. I'm sure everyone will join myself and the committee in thanking Stuart for all his hard work.

This means we have a position vacant - needless to say, one that requires a lot of work as any past editor can attest to.

Anyone interested please fire an email to me here: chair@britishfantasysociety.org
I'll post more details on the role here when I get another spare minute but I just wanted to get the ball rolling :D

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: BFS Journal Editor Role...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
I'll just chip in to say that the BFS Journal is now entirely non-fiction, and the current plan is for it to come out every six months, but to some extent we can tailor our plans to what a suitable candidate would want to do. Ideally you'd be able to handle the typesetting yourself, but if not we could provide or arrange for support in that area.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »
When was it decided to make the Journal entirely non-fiction? Anyway, the new editor may wish to return it to a balance of fiction and non-fiction?

Will the twice-yearly Journal have the same page count as four quarterly issues?

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
Same question from me as from Peter - when, but more particularly why, was it decided to make the journal non-fiction only? I'll say straight off I'm no longer a BFS member so I don't get to hear about these things and you might not be interested in my opinion anyway, but it seems a bit odd to completely dispense with one way of helping BFS members to get published. Is it intended to start up a separate fiction-only publication? Surely, fiction in the journal was both of interest to members as readers, and also members as writers?
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
According to Phil on Facebook, DH and the Journal have divorced -- and they'll be two separate entities from now. I assume DH still has its own editor.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »
According to Phil on Facebook, DH and the Journal have divorced -- and they'll be two separate entities from now. I assume DH still has its own editor.

Yep, saw it. So my comment above is irrelevant. Sorry.
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »
I assume DH still has its own editor.

Yep, Sarah is still currently editor on that side of things.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:07:03 PM »
I assume DH still has its own editor.

Yep, Sarah is still currently editor on that side of things.

Excellent

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »
Sorry, that wasn't meant to be a surprise announcement, it was just for the benefit of any non-members who might be thinking of joining the society in order to take up the job.

The idea of splitting the journal into two publications with separate production teams was proposed in the #13 editorial (pages six and seven), last December. The decision to go ahead with that plan was announced in the first paragraph of the monthly bulletin in March.

Like Phil said then, the plan was to have roughly the same amount of content across four issues a year, but with the non-fiction in two issues of the BFS Journal, the fiction and poetry in two issues of BFS Horizons.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 07:37:01 AM »
Like Phil said then, the plan was to have roughly the same amount of content across four issues a year, but with the non-fiction in two issues of the BFS Journal, the fiction and poetry in two issues of BFS Horizons.

Great idea.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com