Author Topic: AGM 2015  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
AGM 2015
« on: July 25, 2015, 10:55:45 AM »
It's still a long way off, but a couple of things have changed from previous years, so here's a note to start us thinking about this year's Annual General Meeting.

The AGM is to be held at FantasyCon 2015, at the East Midlands Conference Centre and Orchard Hotel, Nottingham, UK, on Sunday, 25 October 2015, from 10 am till noon. All paid-up BFS members are welcome (and encouraged) to attend, whether or not you are also going to FantasyCon. FantasyCon attendees are allowed into the AGM, but cannot vote unless they are BFS members.

If you have an AGM question that would be difficult to answer off-the-cuff, without ready access to files or a bit of data analysis, it's a good idea to let the committee know about them in advance.

As well as discussing the previous year, and presenting the usual reports, a new committee will be voted in. The elected committee posts are: stockholder, British Fantasy Awards administrator, publicity officer, events co-ordinator, treasurer, secretary, chair and president. If you have an interest in standing for election to any of the roles, please attend the AGM, where you will need to be nominated and seconded, before a vote is called. You must be a fully paid-up member of the BFS to stand. If you wish to stand for a post, but are unable to attend the AGM, please send an email to chair@britishfantasysociety.org indicating your interest.

Note that there are two big changes at the AGM this year, thanks to a pair of successful proposals last year.

One is that any proposals to change the constitution of the British Fantasy Awards must now be sent to the awards administrator (me) in writing, rather than the chair. I may give you advice on any unintended consequences of your proposals, or suggest clarifications, but I don't get to say whether your proposal is put to the AGM or not. You can take my advice or not. Either way I will make sure your proposal appears on the agenda for the meeting. (Proposals to change the society's constitution should be sent to the BFS chair in writing as usual.)

The second is that people not attending the AGM can now appoint a proxy, subject to the restrictions in 5.4 of the society's constitution, e.g. if the AGM takes place on Sunday at 10.00 am, your deadline for informing the BFS secretary of your designated proxy will be 10.00am on Sunday, 18 October 2015.

The current BFS constitution can be read here: http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/about-the-bfs/the-constitution-of-the-british-fantasy-society/

The current awards constitution can be read here: http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/the-british-fantasy-awards-constitution-ii/

Hope that's all helpful. I'll update this post and thread with more information as it comes in.

Past AGM threads: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 EGM, 2010 before and after, 2009, 2008, 2006. (If anyone spots a thread for 2011 or 2007 let me know and I'll add them.)

[Updated with date and time.]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:55:11 AM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: AGM 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 06:54:11 AM »
This yearís BFS Annual General Meeting will take place on Sunday, 25 October 2015, from 10 am till noon, at FantasyCon 2015 in Nottingham. Remember that as a BFS member you can attend the AGM even if you havenít bought a FantasyCon membership.

If you canít attend, and wish to register with the secretary a proxy to vote on your behalf (subject to the restrictions in the BFS constitution), the strict deadline is one week before the AGM, at 10 am on 18 October 2015.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:57:07 AM by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
Were I still a member I would be asking for/proposing a digital only membership option (PDF versions of all publications is fine for simplicity!).
But! As there is no digital only membership option, I am not a member, so I can't!  ;) Don't suppose any actual member going to the AGM wants to pursue this one? Pretty please?  :-*

(Seriously, I would rejoin in a shot if I could gurantee not getting the dead tree versions of publications.)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
We do have some digital-only members already, but paying the usual price. We're supplying electronic versions of everything to members quite reliably now, via the monthly bulletin, so I'll bring it up with the committee.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »
You're a babe, ta!  :-*

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »
A reminder that if you canít attend the AGM, the deadline for registering with the secretary a proxy to vote on your behalf (subject to the restrictions in the BFS constitution) is 10 am this Sunday, 18 October 2015.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »
No proxies have been registered this year.

I won't be at the AGM this year, so I've provided the chair with reports on my various activities. If there are any questions you were planning to ask at the AGM about the British Fantasy Awards, Shelflings, the monthly members-only bulletin or anything else I've been working on for the society, like BFS Horizons, the new renewal notices and the new member letters, let me know and I'll provide the chair with a prepared answer.