Author Topic: British Fantasy Awards 2016  (Read 12109 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
British Fantasy Awards 2016
« on: July 28, 2015, 07:39:20 PM »
You can now start suggesting items published in 2015 that will be eligible for the British Fantasy Awards 2016.

Submit your items here: http://tinyurl.com/suggestionform2016. It's an anonymous form, so don't be shy about adding your own stuff to the list, if you think it's worthy of consideration!

The list will appear here: http://tinyurl.com/suggestionlist2016. I've taken a different approach in producing the list this year, thanks to a friendly stranger on Twitter who pointed me in the direction of some useful spreadsheet functions, so apologies for any oddities you might notice at first as I work out the kinks.

Any authors, editors and publishers who have multiple titles to supply are welcome to email them to me in a spreadsheet (bfsawards@britishfantasysociety.org).

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
Re: British Fantasy Awards 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:56:24 PM »
Members of the British Fantasy Society and attendees of FantasyCon will begin voting in the British Fantasy Awards 2016 on January 1.

So if you have read, seen, written, published or heard tell of any eligible items during 2015 this would be a good time to add them to our crowdsourced suggestions list.

The form for adding items is here: http://tinyurl.com/suggestionform2016

And they will appear on the list here: http://tinyurl.com/suggestionlist2016

The categories this year are: anthology, artist, collection, comic/graphic novel, fantasy novel, film/television production, horror novel, independent press, magazine/periodical, newcomer, non-fiction, novella, and short story.

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »
Quick one - where do podcasts go? Magazine, non-fiction (if non-fiction), or television?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »
Good question! Any of them, I think, depending on the content. Television would need to be a video podcast. No reason they couldn't also go into the fiction categories, again depending on the content, and the word count, if that could be established.

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
Voting in this year's awards has begun today, with the voting link being sent out to BFS members!

I've only just sent the FantasyCon 2015 and 2016 organisers the notice for sending to their members, but 2015 attendees eager to vote quickly can find the voting link on p. 185 of their souvenir booklets.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has voted so far.

I'm going to change one small thing this year, with regard to tie-breaks. The constitution says that four voted items should go through to the shortlist, but doesn't explain how to decide tie-breaks, so it's left up to the awards administrator. I'm going to keep the system from previous years:

1. Discounting third place votes.
2. If that doesn't do it, discounting second place votes.
3. If that doesn't do it either, comparing votes for other items by the same writers in the same category that didn't make the shortlist (in categories where that would make sense).

That still leaves us with the occasional tie, so this year instead of putting both items through if there's a dead heat, I will:

4. Ask the relevant jury to decide which of the tied items to put through, before going on to decide their egregious omissions.

Hope that's clear, but if you have any questions let me know.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:57 AM »
Hi Stephen

I'm not currently a BFS member but I did attend FantasyCon 2015. Just a heads up that I've had no email about voting so it might be these haven't been sent...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
Thanks for letting me know you didn't get it. The email definitely went out, because we had a burst of votes from FantasyCon 2015 attendees over the few days afterwards, but maybe yours got sidelined by a spam filter? If it doesn't turn up, the link to the voting form also appears on p. 185 of the FantasyCon 2015 souvenir booklet.

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
I don't use a spam filter so not sure what happened. I'll have to see if I can find the souvenir programme. What's the deadline?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »
It's the end of February.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »
An email reminder about voting in the awards will be on its way to members shortly. With just one week to go, not many of you have voted. If you don't vote, the FantasyCon crowd will decide the nominations, and you know how they roll...

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 05:21:31 PM »
And please remember, per the awards constitution, "The British Fantasy Society discourages the practice of canvassing for votes."

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:10:01 PM »
Thanks to everyone who voted in response to my reminder yesterday. The number of BFS members who have voted has more than doubled! We're now up to roughly 18% of members having voted, compared to roughly 15% with a week to go last year. Thanks, both from me, and on behalf of the writers, artists, editors and publishers whose work you are honouring with your votes!

Offline simonbestwick

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »
'If you don't vote, the FantasyCon crowd will decide the nominations, and you know how they roll...'

I'm sorry, but what exactly is that supposed to mean?