Author Topic: BFS Horizons #1  (Read 5119 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
BFS Horizons #1
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
Just a quick update on this: we're hoping to have the first issue of BFS Horizons off to press on September 20, to be with you before FantasyCon. Sorry for the delay.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: BFS Horizons #1
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
Just a quick update on this: we're hoping to have the first issue of BFS Horizons off to press on September 20, to be with you before FantasyCon. Sorry for the delay.

Issue one?

What about the 50-plus issues that preceded it?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
Yes, there were fifty-seven issues of Dark Horizons and five issues of New Horizons before they were abruptly cancelled in 2010 (the plan being to produce "a lavish hardback book" collecting similar material, which became the paperback BFS Journal). Having Horizons in the name is a nod to the past, but this isn't a resurrection of either of those fondly-remembered publications so the numbering hasn't been resurrected either.

I guess we could consider making this issue fifty-eight if members were really desperate for us to do so, but I'm not keen myself, it'd seem a bit fake, a trumped-up, forced continuity.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 09:22:24 PM »
BFS Horizons #63 ?
I think that might give some hinterland of proud history for the Society and its fiction publication.

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:19 PM »
BFS Horizons #63 ?
I think that might give some hinterland of proud history for the Society and its fiction publication.

The Manchester Guardian changed its name to The Guardian in 1959 and maintained its numbering:
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2011/09/08/GuardianMGfps.pdf

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »
I'm with Des

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »
If the five issues of New Horizons weren't numbered #58-62, then it seems a bit silly (not that there's anything wrong with that) but more problematically, rather confusing to number BFS Horizons from #63. If anything, a journal could keep its name but start numbering again from #1—series two, say.

I'm genuinely curious what the perceived benefit of starting numbering to continue from DH and NH would be?

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
I missed the bit about including the few issues of New Horizons in the numbering system -- I vote NO to this. But I do think that the new Dark Horizons numbering system should continue on from those that preceded it, both when it was a standalone publication and when it was incorporated in the Journal. I don't have all BFS publications to hand so I can't check, but I think it is a mistake to ignore the previous 60-odd issues. It'd be like Marvel, renumbering their comics from #1 every so often -- a mess. 

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »
I think it would seem quite random for a new publication to begin with #63 (Des's idea) or #62 (Peter's idea - Dark Horizons lasted 57 issues, and then Dark Horizons sections appeared in the first four BFS Journals, numbered 57, 59, 60 and 61), to follow on from a different publication cancelled five years ago with issue 57. This has Horizons in the title because we thought it would be a nice nod to New Horizons and Dark Horizons, to indicate a family relationship with them, but it's not a direct continuation of either of them. If anything, it would have made more sense for the BFS Journal to continue the numbering of Dark Horizons, which was after all 'the Journal of the British Fantasy Society'.

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
I don't think it is always logical about whether to renumber and/or rename a publication by those who are making decisions about its ethos and audience. It is more an emotional or artistic decision, I feel.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:16:20 AM »
I really must not insert words into headings -- I do it all the time, especially when I glimpse a place name when driving. I read it as Dark Horizons and not just BFS Horizons. If that is to be the new name then start at #1.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 07:19:43 AM »
The new publication is called BFS Horizons, that's right. It was pencilled in as BFS Fiction at first, but that seemed a bit too plain, and there's poetry and art in there too. BFS Horizons seems to work well.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »
The first issue of BFS Horizons, our new fiction magazine, should be off to the printers very soon. The editor is Sarah Newton, the poetry editor is Ian Hunter.

Short stories in this issue include "The Feast" by L.P. Lee, "The Clockwatcher" by Sarah Newton, "The Seed" by David Ryan and "Inside" by Sandra Unerman, plus the winners of the BFS Short Story Competition 2014, accompanied by comments from the competition's organiser and judge, Allen Ashley: "The Mine Field" by Jane Fox, "Be Careful What You Wish For" by Nikki Pratt, and "The Fenchurch Reckonings" by Jean Levy.

It will also feature poetry by Allen Ashley, Stewart Horn, Sarah Doyle and Trevor Denyer, art by Simon Walpole and Annie Ridd, the chairman's chat, BFS news, and an editorial from Ian Hunter. The cover art is by Howard Watts.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 10:52:43 PM »
Just to confirm, BFS Horizons #1 is at the printers, albeit not the usual ones for reasons some of you may have seen in the trade press. The printer we've used for this issue doesn't do mailings, so this issue and almost certainly this issue alone will be coming to you direct from Theaker Towers, hopefully by mid-October.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
I've booked a Royal Mail collection of this mailing, and while waiting for that to happen (it was meant to be last Thursday) I've been posting a handful of copies each time I pass a postbox, starting with our international members. So don't be too concerned if you hear someone else has it and you don't yet. I'll let you know here once they've all been dispatched.