Author Topic: BFS Horizons #1  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
Re: BFS Horizons #1
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
My copy just landed on my doormat so they're out in the wild!

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
Good to know!

The Royal Mail never came to collect, but I put the last twenty copies in a postbox today, so BFS Horizons #1 is now on its way to everyone (or at least everyone who was a current BFS member when I received the mailing list). If you haven't received your copy by this time next week let me know and I'll look into it.

And let us know here what you thought of it! A new editor should be taking over from issue three. What direction would you like them to take? What kind of stories do you like to read? Which stories, poems and art did you like best from this issue?

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
Pleased to receive my copy of “BFS Horizons 1”, which contains a poem from yours truly and, more importantly, the three winning stories from last year’s BFS Short Story Competition.
I’ve been advised not to say anything but that’s not my style, so here goes: the front cover is embarrassing. What is it meant to be – Mills and Boon in Space? The guy’s photoshopped pert arse is laughable. The simple question one needs to ask is: would this make you want to pick it up on a display table or in a bookshop? When the PDF went round to contributors there was a much better image but that was apparently just a filler.
Sorry to moan but for our flagship fiction and poetry publication we need to do better and be more appropriate.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »
Sorry you don't like it. I think it's groovy. Mills and Boon in space sounds great!

Offline Des Lewis

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • DF Lewis Website
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
... the front cover is embarrassing. What is it meant to be – Mills and Boon in Space? The guy’s photoshopped pert arse is laughable. The simple question one needs to ask is: would this make you want to pick it up on a display table or in a bookshop? [...]
Sorry to moan but for our flagship fiction and poetry publication we need to do better and be more appropriate.

I am usually a fan of Howard Watts covers, but I have to agree with Allen in what he says above about  this cover.
MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 12:57:54 PM »
It's great to have some feedback for the incoming editor to work with. Do let us know what you think of the stories and poems too, once you've had time to read them. I really enjoyed proofreading this issue. I thought "The Fenchurch Reckonings" was a worthy winner of the short story competition, and "Inside" by Sandra Unerman was really good too.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 01:44:41 PM »
... the front cover is embarrassing. What is it meant to be – Mills and Boon in Space? The guy’s photoshopped pert arse is laughable. The simple question one needs to ask is: would this make you want to pick it up on a display table or in a bookshop? [...]

I am usually a fan of Howard Watts covers, but I have to agree with Allen in what he says above about  this cover.

I agree with Des and Allen

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 08:37:58 PM »
Hm, sounds like I'd better rethink the planned cover for #2...

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 10:40:05 PM »
 ;D

Joking aside, is there a copy of the cover of #1 anywhere for those of us who aren't members but are curious as to what all the fuss was about? ;)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:04 PM »
Yes, it's in this news item on the BFS website. What you can't see there is that the lovely pinkness wraps around over the spine and onto the back too.

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 07:08:40 PM »
Hi Des and Peter,
Thanks for your responses. And a very funny mock-up there, Stephen, to take any heat out of the debate. And there’s nothing personal here – I’ve enjoyed other examples of Howard Watts’ art, such as that featured in “Theaker’s Quarterly Fiction”.

Offline Simon Kewin

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Simon Kewin
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »
Can I ask what the current situation is as regards short story submissions to Horizons? I've sent in a couple - one last December, one in July - but heard nothing. I see that the editor position is currently vacant, which I guess explains it. Are short story submissions encouraged?
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams" - Arthur O'Shaughnessy
simonkewin.co.uk

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 10:43:28 AM »
Can I ask what the current situation is as regards short story submissions to Horizons? I've sent in a couple - one last December, one in July - but heard nothing. I see that the editor position is currently vacant, which I guess explains it. Are short story submissions encouraged?

Hi Simon,

Apologies that no-one got back to you. As you spotted, yes the editor position is vacant, Sarah had to step down due to work commitments and so a new editor will be in place soon - there's just been a lot to deal with lately with FantasyCon looming amongst other things.

Short story submissions are definitely encouraged, though. The new ed. will have a stack to go through but we'll all chip in to get through the backlog.