Author Topic: AGM 2015 and awards proposals  (Read 8665 times)

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
Re: AGM 2015 and awards proposals
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 04:42:26 PM »
I agree that that particular monster is very unlikely to try to bite the BFA. Just not high profile enough (or egregiously overrun by SJWs) to attract anyone’s attention. I suppose, to be fair, a valid question might have been, what sort of controls does the proposer suggest putting into place to help guard against the gaming of the awards? A bit surprised no one else had any thoughts on that question, or that a vote couldn't be taken in the absence of a satisfactory answer…

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 05:50:42 PM »
I've asked Gary Couzens if his proposal passed, and he's told me that it did, albeit with some changes to the text. If I've been voted back in as awards administrator, I'll update the awards constitution, the suggestions form, and the voting form once I've received a copy in writing of the proposal that was put to the vote.

Offline AllenStroud

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »
I took minutes of the AGM. I'll be writing them up on Wednesday and sending them to Phil.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 06:40:21 PM »
Thanks, that's good to know! Am I still the awards administrator, or did someone else take over?

Offline Allen

• Forum Member
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »
Stephen, you are still Awards Administrator.
We discussed your proposal and considered pros and cons but put off a decision for a while.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 07:26:19 PM »
Okay, thanks for letting me know.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2015, 07:26:59 AM »
So, this seems to be what has happened with the two awards proposals. My proposal was not put to the vote. A motion was passed, put forward by our publicity officer Helen Armfield, that my proposal was "held to be discussed with an outcome by the end of the 2016 AGM". Helen's thinking was that her motion would give the BFS committee "remit to decide it anytime without needing an EGM". However, from what I can tell, having asked the committee members who were there, the AGM did not realise that it was being asked to delegate its power to make a decision on the proposal, so I'm not going to proceed as if it did. Everyone seems to have thought it meant the proposal would be considered at the next AGM. That's a shame, because if it had we could have decided the proposal with a membership vote in December and had everything shipshape and sustainable for the beginning of the 2016 awards. Instead, the proposal will be on the agenda again at the 2016 AGM. We can hold the promised discussion here, just as soon as someone lets me know what we are supposed to be discussing!

Gary Couzens' proposal fared better, but suffered some changes. A written version of the final proposal does not seem to have been made before the vote, so I've had to rely on the notes and memories of my colleagues who were at the AGM, with their draft being supplied to Gary Couzens for approval. Here is the final version, with the changes from Gary's initial proposal highlighted in bold:

Proposal: That the category of Best Film/Television Episode be renamed Best Film/Television Production, with television seasons, miniseries or serials be able to be considered as a whole, if all written by one writer or the same team of writers, rather than singling out individual episodes as at present. For multipart works eligible under this, the eligibility is for the calendar year of the broadcast or other distribution of the final episode.

Eligibility: a TV broadcast, film or electronic broadcast first released in the English language accessible in the United Kingdom during the relevant year. "Release" constitutes the work's commercial availability, be it cinema release, release on DVD, Bluray or via video on demand or other online streaming, or broadcast in the case of television productions. It would not apply to festival, preview or trade screenings if these precede the commercial release date. Awarded to the writer.

So as I read it, the big change from Gary's initial proposal is that originally Gary wanted to restrict it to UK releases, but the amended version allows for first release anywhere in the world, so long as it's accessible from the UK. The other change is that instead of Film/TV, the category becomes best Film/TV Production. I'll leave it to the voters and the juries to decide what significance that change might have.