Author Topic: Hello from the new Secretary  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Andy W Marsden

• BFS Secretary
  • Global Moderator
  • Initiate
  • Call me Doc. I write horror.
    • View Profile
    • AWMarsden.com
Hello from the new Secretary
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:22:12 pm »
Afternoon all!

For those of you who weren't at the AGM on Sunday/weren't at FantasyCon/haven't heard the news yet, I am now the new Secretary for the BFS. How did that happen? Well, a certain chap called Lunt asked me in the bar if I fancied having a stab at the job, and before I could make my excuses or step back in terror, he'd shaken me by the hand and mumbled something about "fresh meat" and "grinder" and "helpless soul..." as he walked away grinning fiendishly. I'd also like to thank whoever seconded my appointment once Phil had proposed it in the AGM. I think it was Jo Fletcher, but I'm not sure as by that point my caffeine level was running dangerously low and proceedings became a bit of a blur. If anyone can fill the gap in my memory, that'd be grand.

A bit about me: my real name is Andy Walker, I am one of three Service Supervisors at my local B&Q Warehouse. Responsible directly to the Store and Deputy Managers, I run the second largest team in the store, the Front End team. Checkouts, returns, car park, greeters, plus all the service points throughout the shop floor are my remit. I look after the whole customer experience from the moment they set foot in the store, until they've left the building. And yes, all those "work in retail" memes you may have seen online are entirely accurate. The customer is very rarely (if ever) right. That's what keeps me in a job.

I am also the Secretary for the Friends of Slaithwaite Spa, a community group in my village who look after the local Spa Park area, cleaning, tidying, and encouraging community events to be held there.

Finally, in what little spare time I have left, I write horror under the name Andy W Marsden. Nothing published (must try harder!) but I keep writing, and that is all that is important to me. I love Jaffa Cakes, Irn-Bru. I am ginger. I most often listen to heavy metal, but also have a strong love of steampunk and independent artists. One of my closest friends performed a "couch tour" concert in my front room last year, it was truly amazing listening to her play live from my sofa. I am a medic (hence the nickname Doc), member of the Association of First Aiders. You will have seen me RedCloaking at the last two FantasyCons (and hope to do so again in 2016). And I am a proud member of the #CreatureCoffeeClub. You can never have too much coffee.

And that's me. Please bear with me for the next few weeks while I get embedded into the role, and I look forward to an exciting year in the BFS. Oh yes, and I apologise that I am not a great forumer. I just don't have the time to keep trawling through multiple pages. I prefer the rapid flow of information on Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram, so you'll find me there most often. Links in my signature (if I've set it up right).

Talk soon,
Andy
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:24:47 pm by Andy W Marsden »
I should probably stop volunteering for things...

Twitter/Instagram: @AndyWMarsden

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Hello from the new Secretary
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:27:11 pm »
Thanks for taking the job! Everything we do is built on the work of the secretary and the treasurer.

Offline Andy W Marsden

• BFS Secretary
  • Global Moderator
  • Initiate
  • Call me Doc. I write horror.
    • View Profile
    • AWMarsden.com
Re: Hello from the new Secretary
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:07:19 pm »
Thanks for taking the job! Everything we do is built on the work of the secretary and the treasurer.

Oh. No pressure, then...
I should probably stop volunteering for things...

Twitter/Instagram: @AndyWMarsden