Author Topic: Fantasycon By The Sea  (Read 13913 times)

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Fantasycon By The Sea
« on: October 28, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »

Hi guys,

It gives me great pleasure to announce Fantasycon By The Sea, the official Fantasycon 2016.

You can get loads of details from our website http://fantasyconbythesea.com/ but here is the summary.

Save the date: 23rd to 25th September 2016
Location: Grand Hotel, St Nicholas Cliff, Scarborough, YO11 2ET and The Royal, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, YO11 2HE.
The hotels are right next to each other, and events will be split between the two.
Tickets: £50/£40 BFS member (buy them here http://fantasyconbythesea.com/membership/)
Dealers room: £25 per table (with one free ticket to the con, tickets will be available by the end of the week)

We are negotiating the best rate possible with the hotel at the moment, so please bear with us.

The Team:
Chair: Alex Davis
Publicity/Hotel Liaison: Emma Davis
Programme: Brian Marshal
Membership: Mia (Pixie)
All things tech and digital - Me (Del Lakin-Smith)

So these are still pretty early days, and we are working on a lot of details, but please pass us on an suggestions that you might have to help us make this the best Fantasycon ever.

Any questions or concerns please post on this thread or email us at enquiries@fantasyconbythesea.com

Del.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:43:25 AM by Del Lakin-Smith »

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasycon By The Sea
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
OK, here's a small point that has been mentioned after previous Fantasycons...

The badge & lanyard - great idea, but only if people can read them. If you print them up, make them a little bigger for us old folks with bad eyesight. It's embarrassing to have to put on one's reading glasses & stare at people's chests from a couple of feet away! Don't print them in thin black text on a largely grey background. Print them both sides, as they always get turned around! Some years they don't get printed & we're provided markers to do it ourselves. In these cases, please tell everyone to write their name clearly on both sides.

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »
Totally agree. Will add it to the list :-)

Offline Neil C Ford - BFS Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
Del

You are going to hate me, but the website doesn't render at all well on Forefox or Safari for iOS. Please see attached screenshot. Sorry it's so small, file size restrictions on the forum.

- Neil.
BFS Webmaster / Forum Administrator
webmaster [at] britishfantasysociety [dot] org

My admin voice is RED.

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »
Thanks Neil.

Unfortunately I don't have any iOS devices. Is it just the top slider that messes up or the rest of the site? How is the booking form?

cheers,

Del.

Offline Neil C Ford - BFS Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:00:55 AM »
It appears to be the front page only. Not just on iOS though, the screen shot is from Firefox on my laptop.

- Neil.
BFS Webmaster / Forum Administrator
webmaster [at] britishfantasysociety [dot] org

My admin voice is RED.

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »
Well I can certainly fix this on iOS, but I am seeing good results on all platforms on all browsers. FF, Chrome, IE & Safari on Windows, Android and OSX. I will keep monitoring. The main thing is that customers can but tickets easily and the information is available, but many thanks for your input.

Del.

Offline DarkFlights

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 02:57:36 PM »
So sorry it's been ages since I posted anything anywhere here, but will there be an art display for all us budding artists?
Interested in getting a dealer's table for my pewter jewellery.

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
We are so delighted to announce the second Guest of Honour for Fantasycon by the sea.

Nice and topical as she has been in the news recently as the Costa award winner for The Lie Tree, and also won last years BFS Fantasy novel for Cuckoo Song.

Yes, the amazing and uber talented Frances Hardinge

Don't forget tickets are still available and can be bought here http://fantasyconbythesea.com/membership/

Offline Graeme

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
I've been trying to get on the Fanasyconbythesea.com website all today to book accomodation but the whole site seems beyond reach.

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »
Sorry I missed this. The site is available. Can you try this again?

Offline Billy

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »
Both links not working using the forum. using IE11

This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://fantasyconbythesea.com is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.

He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid!

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 01:37:36 PM »
The subject of an art display has already been brought up here & I'd like to add my push.
Last year, we were told there wasn't going to be an actual art display, as there was no demand, but artists could buy a table in the dealers room & use white tack to display their work. Our friend Morgan Fitzsimons did so & specifically asked for a wall table, as she needed the wall display space, plus she wanted to be able to sit & paint while she was in there, so people could see her work. What she got was a table in the middle, with no display space, as all the wall tables were reserved for the mass signing, which was only on on the Sunday & even then nowhere near all the tables were filled. In fact it only took up the back row & half of the side, with Ramsey Campbell left on his own at a table at the opposite end. Denying space to people who needed it, on the basis that it may be needed for a signing for an hour, or so on the last day is ridiculous. We were asked on several occasion why there wasn't a proper art display at the convention, which somewhat goes against the claim that there is no interest. I know Jim Pitts brought his portfolio with him, but had nowhere to display it, so it stayed in his car.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 11:25:20 AM »
I support the call for an art show. One of the delights of a convention is to see original art, both 2D and 3D

Offline David A. Riley

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • rileybooks
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 02:17:53 PM »
I support the call for an art show. One of the delights of a convention is to see original art, both 2D and 3D

I couldn't agree with you more. Fantasycon provides ample opportunity for writers, etc, but the lack of an art show is nothing short of scandalous. It really is an insult to all the artists involved with the BFS and the horror/fantasy/SF genres in general!