Author Topic: Fantasycon By The Sea  (Read 13964 times)

Offline DavidJHowe

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Telos Publishing
Re: Fantasycon By The Sea
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
Re the Art Show.  When I was organising F/Cons back in the day, the biggest issues were: Where to actually put it? You need a nice large, airy room, with good light. Many venues have no such thing. And there's no point in putting it in a dark and dingy hallway, or rooms with poor lighting ... Then there's who will organise it - which is the major stumbling block. Someone needs to arrange all the display stands/pegboards and so on to hang the art (which are not cheap to hire, and if you provide them yourself, then you need to be able to store and transport them before and after the event, so van hire, storage etc), tables to place 3D objects on, cards to say what each is and whether it's for sale or not ... then the room needs constant monitoring, and is lockable when no-one can mind it. Then you also need insurance to be arranged for everything (which is not cheap), plus an effective system to monitor and track registrations of interest and sales over the weekend ...

So all in all, putting on an art show is like organising a whole convention in miniature ... and someone needs to organise, arrange and pay for all that out of whatever money is available - and often there is no money available ... which is why, I suspect, that there isn't an art show.

Back in the day, as I understand, sterling folk like Sylvia Starshine and Val Edwards would do all the hard work around it. I think Robbie Bourget sorts out the art show for EasterCon each year ... you need someone trustworthy with the time and knowledge to arrange and sort it all for you ...

David
Telos Publishing: http://www.telos.co.uk
Doctor Who Merchandise: http://www.tardis.tv   
Howe's Who: http://www.howeswho.co.uk

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 07:57:43 AM »
Directly via the Fantasycon by the Sea website I emailed del[at]fantasyconbythesea at the very start of the month to point out that my name was on the list of members, but my wife Audrey's was not, despite paying for 2 memberships at the beginning of December last year, order #1262.

I did not receive a reply.

I then, via my yahoo account, emailed enquiries[at]fantasyconbythesea on the 9th of this month to point out the ommission of my wife's name.

I have not received a reply.

I'm now posting on this forum.

So that's 3 times I've reached out.

If I've to make it a 4th time it'll be to request a full refund of the 100 we gave the society 2 months ago.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
... and I'm still waiting.

That's a month, 3 different points of contact and not a single reply to any of them.

Is this at all symptomatic of anyone making any kind of enquiry of the convention?!

So who is it I see about demanding a full refund?

I'm not paying 100 for one membership...

Offline AlexDavis1981

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
Hi Paul,

I've just been pointed to your forum post - we've had a few technical problems that have been causing troubles with our email, which this has brought to light for us! I've emailled a reply anyway - we'll get Audrey's name added to the list ASAP or, if you would still prefer a refund, we'll be happy to sort that for you. Apologies for the issues at our end, and we hope to see you there in Scarborough!

Thanks a lot

Alex

Offline Dave Brzeski

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
Re the Art Show.  When I was organising F/Cons back in the day, the biggest issues were: Where to actually put it? You need a nice large, airy room, with good light. Many venues have no such thing.

Which, frankly, should be a major consideration when selecting a venue. Last year, in Nottingham, was the first in recent memory where the dealers room was adequately lit, let alone an art room.

We were told last year, though, that artists could put up samples in the dealers room, using white-tack. In the event, Morgan Fitzsimons was give a table in the centre of the room, with no wall space whatsoever. In fact, all the wall space was taken up by the tables that were reserved for the mass signing, which only ran for a short while on the Sunday, around half of which weren't even used on the day.

Offline Del Lakin-Smith

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
Directly via the Fantasycon by the Sea website I emailed del[at]fantasyconbythesea at the very start of the month to point out that my name was on the list of members, but my wife Audrey's was not, despite paying for 2 memberships at the beginning of December last year, order #1262.

I did not receive a reply.

I then, via my yahoo account, emailed enquiries[at]fantasyconbythesea on the 9th of this month to point out the ommission of my wife's name.

I have not received a reply.

I'm now posting on this forum.

So that's 3 times I've reached out.

If I've to make it a 4th time it'll be to request a full refund of the 100 we gave the society 2 months ago.
Hi Paul,

Sorry about the delay in responding to the forum. I don't get to spend much time on here these days.

I replied to your email on 31st January 2016 at 10:59am, 2 1/2 hours after your email arrived at 08:19.

I added Audrey then, but messed up and did not approve the new user. I also emailed you yesterday, letting you know I had rectified the error and also requesting an email address for Audrey. So I apologise unreservedly for messing that up.

Further to your email to Alex, I have issued your refund, and I am sorry we will not be seeing you at Fantasycon By The Sea.

Best,

Del.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 07:13:55 AM »

Hi Paul,

Sorry about the delay in responding to the forum. I don't get to spend much time on here these days.

I replied to your email on 31st January 2016 at 10:59am, 2 1/2 hours after your email arrived at 08:19.

I added Audrey then, but messed up and did not approve the new user. I also emailed you yesterday, letting you know I had rectified the error and also requesting an email address for Audrey. So I apologise unreservedly for messing that up.

Further to your email to Alex, I have issued your refund, and I am sorry we will not be seeing you at Fantasycon By The Sea.

Best,

Del.

I have not received any email on the 31st of January, and I clearly gave the same email address on the registration form for the both of us. There have been no refunds yet credited to my PayPal account.

Offline Morgan Fitzsimons

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:21 AM »
Continuing discussion on art show, I do see organisation of a separate Art Display room might be difficult and I was quite happy to be in the same hall as the authors and publishers at the last Fantasy Con, but I would have preferred some of that space against a wall. It did seem to be a waste as much of it was not used at all. It was difficult to display art work on a flat table. It is impossible to be in two places at once, so on reflection, I think I would settle for a table with wall space for displaying both my art and books next time, so perhaps the organisers of Fantasy Con would bear that in mind when allocating tables. Artists with 3D items such as models etc should be able to show on a more central table. I loved every minute of the event despite the lack of wall space.
Morgan Fitzsimons

Offline Blackfinger

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 09:28:09 AM »
Hi all,

I've booked tickets to the Fantasycon 2016 and am looking forward to it. About a month ago I sent a couple of queries via the Fantasycon website, asking for some help and basic orientation because this would be my first convention. I haven't had any sort of acknowledgment or reply, and the website itself looks like its not being regularly updated/checked.

Does anyone know whether the convention is still going ahead and whether the contact form on the website works?

Perhaps this is always the case with these conventions, but the handling seems a little rough and untended to me...

thanks for any help,
James

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 10:22:42 AM »
Hi all,

I've booked tickets to the Fantasycon 2016 and am looking forward to it. About a month ago I sent a couple of queries via the Fantasycon website, asking for some help and basic orientation because this would be my first convention. I haven't had any sort of acknowledgment or reply, and the website itself looks like its not being regularly updated/checked.

Does anyone know whether the convention is still going ahead and whether the contact form on the website works?

Perhaps this is always the case with these conventions, but the handling seems a little rough and untended to me...

thanks for any help,
James

Yes, FantasyCon 'is' still going ahead. More info will become available the nearer we get to the actual Con dates and is fairly normal in my experience.

Offline Blackfinger

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
Yes, FantasyCon 'is' still going ahead. More info will become available the nearer we get to the actual Con dates and is fairly normal in my experience.

Thanks Phil :)

Offline jim mcleod

• Bletherskite
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • The Ginger Nuts of Horror
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Hey Del, can you do me a favour, I'm down as an attendee but I can't for the life of me remember paying for my tickets.  I probably have, can you check that I did pay for it, I'd hate to turnm up and find out I was
n't registered.  I remember I had problems with paypal at the start. 

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
Hi everyone!
Can anyone help me here? I've been trying to book the hotel for FCon today - but the website is sending me round and round in circles. I abandoned it at the point where it was asking me to reset my password and said that a link would be sent to my email address. Nothing has arrived in my inbox.

So, who am I supposed to contact about this? I can't find a contact email on the website and no phone no. for the hotel.  :(
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk

Offline Phil Lunt

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
  • BFS Chair, collector of Boojums
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 03:39:28 PM »
Hi everyone!
Can anyone help me here? I've been trying to book the hotel for FCon today - but the website is sending me round and round in circles. I abandoned it at the point where it was asking me to reset my password and said that a link would be sent to my email address. Nothing has arrived in my inbox.

So, who am I supposed to contact about this? I can't find a contact email on the website and no phone no. for the hotel.  :(

If in doubt, give me a shout! ;) Anyway, contact form for FCon is here: http://fantasyconbythesea.com/contact/

However, I'll also give the guys a poke regarding your issue here.

Offline CarolineC

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »
Hi everyone!

If in doubt, give me a shout! ;) Anyway, contact form for FCon is here: http://fantasyconbythesea.com/contact/

However, I'll also give the guys a poke regarding your issue here.

Hi Phil - it's sorted, thanks. Del contacted me about it and I've got it booked now. Cheers!  :)
Please 'like' Frightful Horrors on Facebook
www.facebook.com/frightfulhorrorsuk