Author Topic: Hello again, folks!  (Read 1923 times)

Offline MrGrimstone

• Peasant Arch Deacon of Greater Loogie
  • Initiate
  • Um.....nope, I have nothing.
    • View Profile
    • Official David Grimstone Website
Hello again, folks!
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:32:11 pm »
Hey all...

I'm back after a long time out, started the new year by joining the BFS and becoming a member of the Horror Writers' Association (active). I've never written horror with any degree of drive, determination or resulting success...but I'm hoping to change that in the coming year.

WRITING STUFF

I'm 38 and I live in Ramsgate with my wife and two children, where I write full-time.

I write the comedy lifestyle blog 'Bloke Called Dave' which is currently being revamped and turned into two books due to an unexpectedly large readership that developed during 2014/2015. Since 2002, I have written and published books with Disney and Penguin in the USA and Hodder here in the UK. The series I've written include The Illmoor Chronicles (6 titles), Davey Swag (1), Gladiator Boy (15) and Undead Ed (3). I have a new series out from Hodder this year called Outcasts: The Game, which will publish in May with two more following in Jan 2017 and April 2017. I was represented by Ed Victor Ltd for fifteen years and am currently represented by Sophie Hicks, formerly director of EV and now owner of The Sophie Hicks Agency.

PERSONAL STUFF

I tend to suffer from prolonged bouts of depression, which means that I have neglected a lot of my writing in order to work in relative solitude with my wife, Chiara, who runs a very successful online company called Hoobynoo World (through Not on the High Street). Despite performing at the Haye and Edinburgh Book Festivals, I have refused all public events for the past six years and have become practical phobic about them. I like a drink (red wine or Jack Daniels, straight, for preference), am a serious coffee addict and spend every second I'm not working at Costa Coffee. I also work out for an hour a day on the crosstrainer. I adore my family and spend every spare moment I have with them. I am a fanatical - and I repeat 'fanatical' - fan of the TV series LOST.

Currently watching: Deadwood, Pretty Little Liars, Midsomer Murders
Currently playing: LA Noire, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, Fallout: New Vegas
Currently reading: Gaiman, Marshall(Smith), Jones (BNH#25), Pratchett, Banks, Susan Cain, Kevin Sullivan
Last Film I Loved: The Hateful 8

Er....yeah, that's too much information. I'll stop right there.
Author of The Illmoor Chronicles (2003-2007), Davey Swag (2008), Gladiator Boy (2009-2010), Undead Ed (2011-2012) and - forthcoming - Outcasts: Game (2016-2018) Publishers: Disney USA, Hodder UK, Penguin USA, Open Road USA /Agents: The Sophie Hicks Agency

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Hello again, folks!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:47:28 pm »
Welcome back!

I had it in my head for some reason that you also wrote under the name of Dave Stone, who's done some Doctor Who, Judge Dredd novels, things like that. Weird when you assume two people are one person, then have to disentangle them in your head.

I enjoyed your YouTube awards ceremony a while back.

Offline MrGrimstone

• Peasant Arch Deacon of Greater Loogie
  • Initiate
  • Um.....nope, I have nothing.
    • View Profile
    • Official David Grimstone Website
Re: Hello again, folks!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:05:29 pm »
Haha thanks, Stephen: glad you enjoyed it!  ;)

Dave Stone was around a while before me, but I wasn't familiar with his work. He actually called me up after I signed my first deal and we talked about having a point of difference. This was after he wrote some Dr. Who stuff but before his work in Judge Dredd with Armitage.

In the end, it was agreed that he should - quite rightly - keep 'Dave Stone' while I changed to David L. and then David Lee Stone.

We needn't have worried, however: in the end, I've become something of a name switcher. I write as David Grimstone and Rotterly Ghoulstone. I nearly wrote as Darkstone, but some research indicated that might be the name of less than squeaky clean US magician...so we went with the other.

Nice to be back!
Author of The Illmoor Chronicles (2003-2007), Davey Swag (2008), Gladiator Boy (2009-2010), Undead Ed (2011-2012) and - forthcoming - Outcasts: Game (2016-2018) Publishers: Disney USA, Hodder UK, Penguin USA, Open Road USA /Agents: The Sophie Hicks Agency