Author Topic: AGM 2015 proposal re returning to voting for the winners  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: AGM 2015 proposal re returning to voting for the winners
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 10:03:55 AM »
Thanks, Des! I think you'd been asking for something pretty similar for a long time, but I'm afraid it was not to be! At least now the decks are clear, and whoever the AGM votes in as my replacement will take up the job having a good idea of the workload involved and will hopefully have had plenty of time to consider how they'll approach it, whether to make an AGM proposal of their own, etc.

I can't pretend I'm terribly optimistic about the future of the awards, I wouldn't have made this proposal unless I thought problems with the current system were likely, but they went well the year before I returned to the post, and there are plenty of people in the society who could handle them in their current form. Many would do a much better job than me. Look at the brilliant things Tom Hunter is doing with the Clarke Award compared to that I've been doing little more than the bare minimum required to keep things going!

I hope someone with the necessary skills fancies it and stands for election. It is really good fun to do. Working with the juries is fascinating, seeing how each jury is different, but I think the best bit is announcing the nominees, seeing how happy it makes people - writers, publishers, fans, friends. It's brilliant. The announcement last year on Twitter was one of the most joyful (non-family related) experiences of my life.

Offline jared

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 08:34:25 AM »
It is a vast amount of work, and you've done a superb job.

Lots of people out there (vague hand-wave) are interested in awards and potentially even creating one. This would be an ideal opportunity: an established process, a known award 'brand', and the infrastructure and support in place. It is a lot of work, but a great experience, and a nice line on the CV if they then wanted to go create a new award or work on one, etc.

(It is also a nice way of meeting a lot of publishers, bloggers and authors in a professional context, for anyone interested in forwarding their career that way as well...)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 09:00:29 AM »
Absolutely and that last bit goes for a lot of positions on the BFS committee. Over the years I've had emails from some amazing people, people whose books I owned as a teenager, people who I would not have felt worthy to ever speak to if I hadn't been doing it on behalf of the BFS.