Author Topic: Greetings from Cambridge  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Kal Shaw

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cheerful Omelette
Greetings from Cambridge
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:18:55 am »
Hello everyone, pleased to meet you.
I'm Kal, I'm 29 and I'm a software engineer with ambitions to be an author-illustrator.

I write sporadically and my current to-finish list comprises of a series of four fantasy-themed children's books based on the seasons, two comics (one fantasy, one with superheroes) and a novel of indeterminate genre. I want to get a draft of one of them done this NaNoWriMo, and hope that joining the BFS will give me the kick in the pants I need.
Happily, I'm far more prolific as an artist. For he past few years I've been painting and selling fanart, but I've recently changed gear towards serious illustration work with a view to achieving my goal of illustrating for Tor or Orbit and getting into a Spectrum annual.
As a reader I'm happy with almost anything, but I do have a bias towards fantasy and folklore, and whatever you'd classify China Mieville's work as.

Currently reading: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (N K Jemisin); manuscript for a self-published book cover
Currently watching: Gravity Falls
Currently listening to: Jazz Samba (Getz and Byrd)
Currently playing: The Talos Principle

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Greetings from Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 08:40:06 am »
Welcome to the society and the forum! Quite a few BFS members take part in Nanowrimo - my username on there is Rolnikov.

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
Re: Greetings from Cambridge
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 02:22:45 pm »
Hi Kal

being on a similar venture, I'd be interested in seeing some of your illustrations and know which media you use
I use pen and ink, some watercolour, a lot of acrylic and am getting to grips with paint software, especially Manga Studio Ex5 (now Clip Studio) ... I'm slowly, slowly learning CorelDraw7 and dabbling with Rebelle

I also write stuff, occasionally

josh  :)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...