Author Topic: Cleverman on BBC 3 iPlayer  (Read 1288 times)

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
Cleverman on BBC 3 iPlayer
« on: September 16, 2016, 01:52:59 AM »
Cleverman on BBC3

... brilliant ... absolutely, brilliant

set in modern day Australia an ancient aboriginal race of subhumans known as the hairy ones are being segregated from normal society as they are strong and prone to violence
two human half-brothers are involved with them - one a politically savvy campaigner for their rights, the other a con man who'd screw them over in an instant for money to help his business ...
one of the brothers is destined to become the Cleverman, whose supernatural powers are both a blessing and a curse

Australian drama is one of my favourites as it's unpredictable and in your face
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:57:06 AM by joshua rainbird »
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
Re: Cleverman on BBC 3 iPlayer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
Oooh, brilliant! I've been looking forward for ages to this becoming available somewhere I can watch it. I'll keep this for a quiet couple hours with hot drinks in front of the telly one evening. (I'll let you know what I think of it once I do…)

Thanks for the heads-up!

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
I watched the first episode last night, and so far I agree with you—it is gritty, well made, very nicely acted, gritty, believable, heavy on the social commentary but never simplistic, not taking any easy ways out or flinching from the hard punches. I like it a lot so far. (Not sure I like any of the characters yet, but that's because they're complex and human, not because of any flaw.) I can see some of the ways it's going to go, but I'm also sure it's going to surprise me, because it eschews cliché quite strongly.

I'll watch the second episode this arvo, and I believe the third comes out tonight.

Thanks again for the heads-up!

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:13:10 PM »
what i like about Ox/Kiwi drama is you don't have to like the characters to enjoy the drama

glad you're enjoying it too  :)
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:30:40 PM »
Yeah, exactly. None of the “good guys” are blameless or always make the right decision (although some of the “bad guys” are completely irredeemable, but maybe not all)—which on both counts is pretty close to my experience of real life. ;D

I watched eps 2 and 3 on Sunday, now I don't want to have to wait a whole week for the next one!

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 10:39:14 PM »
the laying on of hands scene in episode 4 was brilliant - the last thing I was expecting ... it just gets better and creepier
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:22:31 PM »
NO NO! NO SPOILERS PLEASE! :-D

(My movie buddy and I haven't managed to get together to watch past episode 3 yet, and probably won't until next week, so maybe I should just ignore this thread until I'm caught up. :) )

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 03:34:02 PM »
So I did watch up to episode #5 last week, but haven't yet seen #6, which I believe is the season 1 finale, and should be out today. (Probably will in the next day or two.)

I was a bit confused by the "laying on of hands" scene you mention above, Joshua. From your description, and the run-up to the scene itself, I assumed they were trying to heal her, but I guess it didn't work and instead the energy from his hands cremated the body somehow? Or was that always the point of it?

Do the hairies heal faster than usual, do you think? Jukara seems to be in pretty good shape from someone who nearly died of bloodloss and gunshot wounds a couple days ago, at least. And I guess his hair grows back pretty quickly…

Anyway. Hard to image episode #6 will tie up even most of the loose ends in the story so far. I guess that's why they end a season with a cliffhanger, huh?

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 09:34:23 PM »
that's what I loved about the scene - you expect it to heal but it steers in a far more interesting direction than just simple good and evil, and considering it's dreamtime myth even cremation may not be an end - I like it that the Cleverman has to be impulsive rather than intuitive or logical
and there's possibly an unfathomable determinism lurking behind it all

and the hairies do seem to have accelerated healing
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »
Yes, indeed. There's no good and evil, but there is some slightly more enlightened (aka "getting over themselves") and some so obsessed with success they've lost all sense of right and wrong. The finale was actually much stronger than I expected… it tied off a whole bunch of loose ends, while leaving some (including some unexpectedly) all over the place, and still managed to have a desperately tense cliffhanger.

This is the first time in years I've watched a TV show when it was actually on TV, so I'm now stuck with having to wait—what, a year or more?—for the next season to be made and come out. Wow.

(Is it just me, or would that CGI monster have been better if they had left it in the shadows and the viewer's imagination…?)

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 10:04:59 AM »
I had mixed feelings about the monster - my initial reaction was that it was stilted and crude but the more I saw of it I realised it resembled aboriginal wall art ... I would have liked it to be less substantial ... but budgets, I suppose - and I'd much rather the money was spent on the cast and crew who made such a good series than a few seconds of eye candy
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »
Yes, I figured that the monster was deliberately reproducing mythical iconography, but I still thought they didn't do themselves any favours by putting it in-focus and in-camera like that. But yes, I completely agree that the acting and production was much more important than that one small SFX issue... (and were brilliant)