Author Topic: Postapocalyptic fiction  (Read 392 times)

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
Postapocalyptic fiction
« on: October 01, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »
This lovely strip posted yesterday on the Robot Hugs web-comic illustrates in painfully accurate detail some of worst tropes of postapocalyptic literature, especially the treatment of women therein. (Personally, I think "literary" postapoc gets this even worse, because they're not allowed to have any redeeming features, unlike genre which can include adventure, excitement, fantasy and hope of a better world.)

So my question is: can you recommend any postapocalyptic novels, stories or films that do better than this? Break the stereotypes, use other indicators of horror than sexual violence, offer hope, tell a different story…

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
Re: Postapocalyptic fiction
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:48:03 PM »
Children of Men is rather good
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
Re: Postapocalyptic fiction
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:41:16 PM »
That's true. I've not read the book, but the film was strong stuff, and not your typical post-apoc/pre-apoc/dystopian scenario. I mean, it was still a fascistic, victimize-the-already-disempowered, bad world, but I don't remember specifically violence against women being foregrounded much.

What about more hopeful post-apocalyptic.

(I'm not sure if the Steerswoman books count as post-apoc, or if they're just Long Sun-esque “science so advanced it looks like magic” space opera?—I guess we have to wait for the last two books to find out!)