Author Topic: Once Upon A Time  (Read 178 times)

Offline MarilynCam

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Once Upon A Time
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:29:40 PM »
Okay, so strictly speaking this isn't on TV in the normal sense, although I believe that it will soon be available on Netflix. I first caught it on Channel 5.
If you have't tried OAPAT, it's every fairy tale and story you've ever read from Snow White, through Peter Pan and Robin Hood to Greek myth wound into a meta-narrative. The sets and costumes owe more than a bit to Disney (they're behind it) and the dialogue is very colloquial.
The central premise is that the Wicked Queen has cast a spell which had taken all the characters from the Enchanted Forest  to Storybrook, Maine where they have forgotten their true selves. Only the Saviour, daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming can break the spell.
It shouldn't work, but it does. The storytelling is excellent and there's a clever plot device in the shape of a book which binds everything together.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Once Upon A Time
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
My children are watching it at this very moment. They do tend to skip on to the episodes where a big character debuts, though, like Merrida from Brave, and then return to fill in the gaps later on.