Author Topic: Aren't People Buying Werewolf Books Anymore?  (Read 122 times)

Offline Horrorwriter66

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • www.alantoner.com
Aren't People Buying Werewolf Books Anymore?
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
As a horror author who has published a werewolf portmanteau novella on Amazon, I would just like to ask this question: aren't people buying werewolf books anymore?

I ask this because my book has been online on the Amazon store for quite a few months now, both in Kindle and paperback versions, but has hardly sold a copy. I have changed the cover a few times, promoted it like mad on werewolf groups etc., but still the sales are dire.

So what do you all think? Should I not even think about writing any more werewolf books and try something else?

Alan Toner
www.alantoner.com

Horrorwriter66
Horror & Paranormal Author
www.alantoner.com

Offline drawingindark

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • View my work over at Drawing In Dark
Re: Aren't People Buying Werewolf Books Anymore?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »
I still love a good werewolf book - do you have other fiction out there to compare results ?

I know from an artists point of view that as it's got easier to put work out there, the number of others doing the same has made it harder to get seen. Reliable sources of sales like prints and cards of work are such saturated markets because it's become easier for people to do their own. As I work in a different field I'm afraid I don't have much to offer help wise but am curious as to how things have changed for authors with the opportunities/challenges the internet offers.

Offline Stewart Hotston

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
I don't really like classic monster stories - they tend to be cliched and retreads. (Not saying yours is though). It seems like we're post peak vampire/werewolf/zombie now. So, yes, fewer people are buying stories with these tropes in. Although I have no evidence to prove that.

Offline Horrorwriter66

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • www.alantoner.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »
I don't really like classic monster stories - they tend to be cliched and retreads. (Not saying yours is though). It seems like we're post peak vampire/werewolf/zombie now. So, yes, fewer people are buying stories with these tropes in. Although I have no evidence to prove that.

Hi Stewart.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you do have a point when you say that the traditional monsters like werewolves are becoming somewhat cliched. However, if a writer can put a new twist or spin on a story, then I am sure that there is still plenty of enjoyment to derive from the good old monsters we all grew up with (with me, it was the Universal and Hammer ones).

Incidentally if any of you would like to sample my werewolf anthology novella, I am offering a FREE PDF download of the first chapter on my website here:

http://www.alantoner.com/

If any of you do avail yourself of this free download, then I would really be interested to read what you thought of it.

In regard to how may current writing projects are going, well, I have just published a second book on Hammer films, called THE HAMMER HORROR FACT book on Amazon Kindle. I have also released a paperback version.
Horrorwriter66
Horror & Paranormal Author
www.alantoner.com