Author Topic: British Fantasy Awards 2018  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Mike Chinn

• Thaumaturge
  • Cavy Slave
    • View Profile
    • Displacement Activity
British Fantasy Awards 2018
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:29 pm »
Is there going to be an interactive list of suggestions for this year's award? This time last year people were asking when the voting was due to start, never mind making suggestions.
Mike Chinn

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: British Fantasy Awards 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:03:48 pm »
I know you've already got the answer, Mike, but in case anyone else comes here looking for the links here they are, as supplied by the BFA administrator Katherine Fowler on Facebook and in the last BFS bulletin:

Here's the form for adding items to the list.

And here's the spreadsheet that produces.

The form includes the interesting new audio category, currently defined in the awards constitution as "A spoken word audio work (e.g. audio book, radio drama, podcast) performed by one or more participants and published for the first time in the English language in any part of the world in any audio format during the relevant year."

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 01:04:44 pm »
I saw -- in an email I think, which I no longer have -- a request for jurors for the 2018 awards. Can't find any info about this on the BFS website, so am I imagining things? If not have all juries been selected?

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:58:53 pm »
It just said this:

If you would like to be a juror for this year’s awards, do please get in touch at bfsawards@britishfantasysociety.org.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:44 am »
I do recommend it to members, by the way. I really enjoyed the experience of being on the comics jury last year, plus, if BFS members volunteer, it means BFS members will still be involved in deciding the awards, even if we don't vote for them directly.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 01:12:41 pm »
Thank you Stephen

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 01:24:16 pm »
This month’s bulletin says that voting will begin soon, so this might be a good time for members to check the suggestions list and let the awards admin know about any mistakes on it, especially with regard to your own projects.

I know you've already got the answer, Mike, but in case anyone else comes here looking for the links here they are, as supplied by the BFA administrator Katherine Fowler on Facebook and in the last BFS bulletin:

Here's the form for adding items to the list.

And here's the spreadsheet that produces.

The form includes the interesting new audio category, currently defined in the awards constitution as "A spoken word audio work (e.g. audio book, radio drama, podcast) performed by one or more participants and published for the first time in the English language in any part of the world in any audio format during the relevant year."

Hope that members get to make suggestions for the Karl Edward Wagner Award this year. It’d be good as well to have a bit of information about the Legends of FantasyCon award. I know it’s not a BFA, but it’d be interesting to know how it is decided, e.g. whether it’s by the BFS committee like the KEW award currently is, or by the FantasyCon committee.

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:14:27 am »
Just noticed that The Alchemy Press has been nominated. Since we published nothing in 2017 please remove us from the longlist.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 10:46:17 am »
The jurors have also been announced:
  • Anthology: Adam Baxter, Pauline Morgan, Pete Sutton, Maz Wilberforce, Virginia Wynn-Jones
  • Artist: Ruth Booth, Alex Gushurst-Moore, Helen Scott, Catherine Sullivan, Tania Walker
  • Audio: Susie Prichard-Casey, William Shaw, Allen Stroud
  • Collection: Richard Barber, Peter Coleborn, Katherine Inskip, Shona Kinsella, Laura Langrish
  • Comic / Graphic Novel: Ed Fortune, Emily Hayes, Elaine Hillson, Kiwi Tokoeka, Susan Tarrier
  • Fantasy Novel (the Robert Holdstock Award): David Allan, Rebecca Davis, Michaela Gray, Caroline Hooton, Kirsty Stanley
  • Film / Television Production: Kimberley Fain, Theresa Derwin, Craig Sinclair, Gareth Spark, Paul Yates
  • Horror Novel (the August Derleth Award): Charlotte Bond, Sarah Carter, Amy Chevis-Bruce, Ross Warren, Mark West
  • Independent Press: Stewart Hotston, Georgina Kamsika, Aleksandra Kesek, Joni Walker
  • Magazine / Periodical: Colleen Anderson, Helen Armfield, Dave Jeffery, Alasdair Stuart, Chloë Yates
  • Newcomer (the Sydney J Bounds Award): Eliza Chan-Ma, Elloise Hopkins, Steven Poore, Erica Satifka, Neil Williamson
  • Non-Fiction: Laura Carroll, Lee Fletcher, D Franklin, Emeline Morin, Graeme K Talboys
  • Novella: Joel Cook, Alicia Fitton, Susan Oke, Rosanne Rabinowitz, Stephen Theaker
  • Short Fiction: Andrew Hook, Terry Jackman, Juliet Kemp, Tim Major, Sam Mohsen

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 11:16:21 am »
Congratulations to this year's shortlistees!

(Especially S.A. Chakraborty, Margrét Helgadóttir, Alison Littlewood and Sofia Samatar who we've had the pleasure of publishing in TFF the last few years.)

Good luck to the juries deciding between these very strong slates. I know how much hard work it is…