Author Topic: Hello BFS!  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Emma Rose

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Hello BFS!
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:20:52 pm »
Hi folks,

I've recently joined the BFS, just having a little explore of this forum!

I love fantasy & sci-fi books, the best form of escapism I think. I got into the genre from walking around car boot sales with my dad and discovering Terry Pratchett & Anne McCaffrey books (I defy anyone to go to a car boot sale and not see a Pratchett book!)

I am currently reading Eldest from the Inheritance Cycle series with one of my nephews, a good introduction to fantasy for a 14 year old I think! And have just bought Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson which will be my next read - I really enjoyed his wrapping up of the Wheel of Time so figured it would be a good bet to try one of his original series!

I'm always on the lookout for a good book recommendation so will be scouring the forum for such things I'm sure.

I'm writing some short stories at the moment as a precursor to writing a novel. So I am also hoping BFS will be a nice inspiring kick to get typing!

Emma

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
Re: Hello BFS!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 02:56:22 pm »
Welcome to the society and the forum!

I'm currently reading The Magicians of Caprona by Diana Wynne Jones to my younger daughter, and the only thing better than that is when she reads some of it to me.

Offline Emma Rose

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 01:03:48 pm »
I just googled it, looks cool I'll recommend it for his next Library haul! :)

Offline HHulbert

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:33:23 am »
Hi Emma! I'm new here too, but I'm afraid I have nothing to add to your lovely introduction as you and I seem to be basically the same person :-P
No, just kidding... But I am also trying out this whole short-story thing. How are you finding it? I am enjoying it a lot more than I had expected!
Looking forward to seeing some of your work when you're ready to debut. Horizons accepted my first short story this year and the editors help (with the editing, obv.) has been a.maz.ing.
Best wishes!
Hannah

Offline Emma Rose

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 12:14:56 pm »
Hi Hannah!

It been ages since I've been on here, so have just seen your message!

That's awesome that you have something published in Horizons! I have just moved and am yet to buy a bookcase (shocking I know haha!) so will have a look for your story once I unearth my copy from the boxes, whats it called?

I really enjoy writing short stories, I started out writing for theatre and my comfort zone there is 5-10 minute sketches - I enjoy a punchy format :) Biggest challenge I found is writing something that reads as a stand alone story, rather than something that reads as a chapter from something longer - know what I mean?

I have started writing my first full novel about 3 times over the past few years ...and am giving it a go again! 4th times the charm  ;)