Author Topic: Interzone  (Read 6101 times)

nealasher

Interzone
« on: August 01, 2005, 08:54:25 am »
Any one got any opinions over here?

Chris Teague

Interzone
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 04:07:32 pm »
I used to subscribe to "old" IZ between 1999-2001 but the magazine didn't really feel fresh or new; it looked quite dated.

Being a fan of TTA/Black Static, I subscribed not-quite instantly to the "new" IZ but I knew it was a good move: AC has given it a major make-over, and it feels modern and yet still contains what fans liked of the "old".

nealasher

Interzone
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 02:09:36 pm »
I was much surprised. I'd never really been a fan of the slip-streamy stuff in TTA and felt Interzone was going the same way. Reading both magazines I was lucky if I enjoyed one story out of five. When I learned Andy was taking over I expected more of the same, but when I read his first issues I had to gulp back my pride, congratulate him and resubscribe. Now I find I'm enjoying something like four out of five stories.

Stephen Gallagher

Interzone
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 04:44:26 pm »
I've heard that the current IZ combines features of the makeover with some reintroduced elements of the 'old' IZ, to the approval of all who've seen it. I haven't, yet.

nealasher

Interzone
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 07:58:16 pm »
The stories (putting aside that I have a story in the latest) have been excellent over the last few issues. Some readers are slagging into the Jim Burns cover of the latest, which is obviously far to sexist in out pc age, but most opinions have been good. Clute is back and as opaque ever for those who like that kind of thing. Nick Lowe still doing his film reviews and Mr ubiquitous Langford does his bit in there as well. I enjoy the fact that I'm picking up a British magazine in which I enjoy more than half the stories - hasn't happened for me since Spectrum SF.

Bryn Llewellyn

Interzone
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 06:45:29 pm »
Whatever happened to Mr Fraser?

LLEWELLYN

nealasher

Interzone
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 08:13:12 pm »
Gone the way of so many indy publishers I suspect. Putting in loads of effort to produce an excellent product but in the end finding the sums just didn't add up. It's a shame, but I've seen it happen time and again.

Chris Teague

Interzone
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 10:55:39 am »
The original full-size Jim Burn's artwork used for the cover was recently on-sale at last weekend's WorldCon for six grand.  I'd be a fool not to use it for a magazine. :)

Apparently, Andy Cox will be at FCon.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
Interzone
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 06:19:58 am »
I've not read Interzone in years, glad to see Clute is back, wonderful reviews even though I kept reaching for the dictionary.

If it is as good as you say I must hunt a copy down.

Wayne.

P.M. Edwards

Interzone
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 03:33:06 pm »
I'm about to submit a short story ms to Interzone.  Does anyone know who I should be addressing my covering letter to at TTA Press?  I've been trying to find out all afternoon, but the phone number for their Preston Drove (sic?), Brighton address blocks incoming calls and their Martins Lane, Witcham address appears to be ex-directory.  You'd almost think they didn't want people phoning them up ten-per-minute  :P

It's the latter address that they state for submissions, so does anyone know who to put down as Dear Whoever-you-are?

Stephen Gallagher

Interzone
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 05:20:59 pm »
The Preston Drove address and number became defunct when David Pringle handed over head-honcho duties to Andy Cox and relocated North of the border.

Andy will be the one to address your covering letter to now.

P.M. Edwards

Interzone
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 08:16:27 pm »
Thanks Stephen.  It's still got their old contact details listed even in the 2006 edition of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, so I guess they submitted their listing a long time ago.

Lindsay Lloyd

Interzone
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 08:40:46 am »
Quote from: "P.M. Edwards"
Thanks Stephen.  It's still got their old contact details listed even in the 2006 edition of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, so I guess they submitted their listing a long time ago.

You use a book??

I use Ralan.com for all my market info. It's very up to date and has links to the market's guidelines on their own webpages.

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
Re: Interzone
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 12:26:50 pm »
I recently subscribed to Interzone, and was reasonably impressed by recent issues.
See my blog about this at Pigasus pressure.