Author Topic: The Redemption of Althalus - David & Leigh Eddings  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
The Redemption of Althalus - David & Leigh Eddings
« on: April 29, 2003, 03:30:50 pm »
Now I’ll admit, when I first heard about this I thought it sounded like an interesting deal.   Thief gets locked up in tower with magic book & goddess for a fair few years until it’s time to come out and save the world.
Great, I thought, someone a bit grubby of character for the lead…a nice bit of magic  (& I do love a nice bit of magic :wink:  )
And I have something of a soft spot for Eddings work.  Ages back, when I first starting reading fantasy, I read the various Eddings series and thought they were the business.  After I’d read other peeps books, I still found the Eddings stuff enjoyable, but I began to notice a sameyness about them.  Kind of a – oh look, he’s X with the serial numbers filed off.  The repetition of characters, plots, themes etc. were….dealable…. as the various stories were still quite fun.

This, though….this takes the cake.  True, there are the odd parts, particularly near the beginning (ie. Before Althalus gets to the tower) where it’s an….interesting… story.  I like reading about heists and scams, whether they go wrong or not, so that part was no problem.
Then Althalus gets locked in the tower with a goddess masquerading as a cat and the whole bloody thing goes downhill at great speed.  
It’s the repeated ‘yes dear’ attitude of the men when confronted with the across-the-board smugly superior females.  It’s the fact that the characters are indistinguishable from the ones in the Mallorean & Elenium books.  
It’s all so damn twee that there were several points where I was tempted to throw the book at the wall.  (And that’s a rare thing for me)  

It’s like the Eddings collective has managed to take everything that annoyed me from their previous epic fantasy series, and magnify it to ridiculous proportions.  Everyone gets married at the end.  Every one of the ‘good guys’ has their ‘bad guy’ analogue who they duly beat in some form of fated single combat.  Hells, you can even hear the echoes of dialogue from previous Eddings characters coming out of this lots mouths.  
I wouldn’t mind if it was done in such a way that actually engaged the reader – but its all so tedious and fated and aargh!   :evil:

Anyone else have that problem?

Ariel

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 03:16:11 pm »
I lasted about 60 pages before giving up in disgust... it was the repeated use 'sort of' that did for me. Once you've noticed just how often they use this particular phrase, it gets really, really irritating, very quickly indeed...

The worst book I've ever had the misfortune to try to read? Hmmm, probably.

:twisted: Twisted evil, without question...

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 02:16:18 am »
Glad its not only me who thinks this of Eddings. :)  I gave up on their stuff long before this one. When I dared to mention repetition in their work I was lambasted. :(

Cale

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 06:51:35 pm »
:oops: Shudder! enuf said!! ?

mdc10280

Eddings
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 10:27:41 am »
I liked his early stuff, but the recent work has not been as good.

Someone said his original stories were just that stories, then he started to write adventures for gaming system, and the books became hints and tips for the games more than proper stories.  Can not say if this is true, dont play computer games.

Still read most things he writes as they fairly entertaining and I can ignore the repeated statements  :wink: