Author Topic: Old (formerly new!) Dark Horizons guidelines  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
Old (formerly new!) Dark Horizons guidelines
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:20:47 pm »
UPDATED 17 APRIL 2007

Dark Horizons is the critically acclaimed journal of the British Fantasy Society.  Over the years it has seen many changes and editors.  2006 saw another change: new editors were appointed.  Peter Coleborn and Jan Edwards took over at the helm from Fantasycon.  Dark Horizons will continue to publish fiction, poetry, articles and interviews.

Fiction: Dark Horizons is a broad church as far as "fantasy" is concerned, but the emphasis will be in the weird and fantastic.  This still leaves the field wide open.  Stories have to be good.  We prefer stories in the 4000-7000 word range, but will take shorter or longer tales; stories over 10,000 words will only be accepted occasionally.

Poetry will be selected and edited by the award-winning Joel Lane.  Subject matter as for fiction; they should have a weird, supernatural or mythical theme.  Any form will be accepted with a maximum length 30 lines (again, longer poems will be considered: is anyone writing a 21st century The Raven?).

Articles: we will consider anything (interviews, overviews, critiques, biographies, histories, etc) that may interest BFS members and again, "fantasy" has a wide brief.  DH will not publish reviews of current books or films; these will be included in Prism.  We suggest that you contact us before you write your article (either by letter or email).

Artwork: we are looking for artists in all mediums (including photography) prepared to illustrate stories ? and the front cover.  Please send good quality examples of your work, not originals.

Submitting your work: all initial submissions (see later for poetry) must be sent as hardcopy; accepted material must be available in electronic form (disk or email).  We will accept poetry submissions via email, as long as they are no more than 30 lines in length, and sent in the body of the email, not as an attachment.  Manuscripts must be in standard MS format (double spaced, single side, etc); they must not be folded more than once when stuffed into an envelope (preferably not folded at all, especially MSS of five or more pages).  Always include a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage (UK stamps or two Dollars or Euros) if you want the MS returned. If the MS is disposable include SSAE or an email address for correspondence.  All this is common sense (and sorry if this is teaching old dogs familiar tricks).

A bit of a downer: the British Fantasy Society is a non-profit organisation and therefore DH is unable to pay for submissions (other than in copies).  However, you will be in good company: Ramsey Campbell, Anne Sudworth, Karl Edward Wagner, Stephen Gallagher, Clive Barker, Brian Lumley, David Lee Stone, Mark Morris and many others have all been published by the BFS.

Send submissions and other snail mail to Dark Horizons, 36 Town End, Cheadle, Staffordshire, ST10 1PF, U.K 56 Leyton Road, Birmingham, B21 9EE, and send emails to darkhorizons {at} britishfantasysociety [dot} org {dot} .uk

[Edited to add new address for submissions.]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 04:31:45 pm by Stephen Theaker »

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Publisher, The Alchemy Press
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Peter Coleborn / Alchemy Press
Re: New Dark Horizons guidelines
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:26:54 pm »
UPDATED 17 APRIL 2007

Deadlines for Submissions

At the AGM held during Fantasycon 2006, the editors agreed to produce two issues of Dark Horizons every year. The deadlines for submissions to Dark Horizons are 1 June and 1 November, with anticipated publication in February and September. We aim to stick to these dates but as is ever the case, the best laid plans of mice, men and editors are wont to go astray. These deadlines do not prevent potential contributors from submitting at any time during the year but as you can see from this timetable, the busy periods for DH production will be in the two or so months before publication.

The fantasy field is embedded on a foundation of short stories and Dark Horizons seeks to continue this tradition. But the contents of the magazine can only reflect its contributions. In order to create and maintain a balance, we wish to encourage contributions that cover all tastes, all areas of the fantasy genre, from the darkest corners to the brightest of horizons, by way of the heroic, supernatural, surreal -- you name it. The only criterion is that the stories are good enough.

Dark Horizons will also publish non-fiction, be it articles about themes, writers, artists, interviews, and essays expressing the author's opinion. If you have something to say, consider Dark Horizons as the vehicle for your views. If you wish to write non-fiction for us, please email us first.

Please take a look at the submission guidelines, also available on these message boards.

Peter Coleborn and Jan Edwards

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 08:19:28 pm by Peter Coleborn »

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 06:05:53 pm »
Mind Your Language

I am amazed that I still receive manuscripts for DH, from British writers, that have US, and not UK, spelling turned on. Personally, I would really like to see the word colour spelt with a 'u'.

:)

Troo

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:36:25 pm »
It's because of Windows' default configuration, Peter. Word taps into the Regional settings when installing and picks out the most deeply hidden one that most people don't know exists when aligning it's dictionaries and language to the host system, invariably setting itself to US.

Avoiding this on a freshly installed system is easy. Doing it on one that's already misbehaving is harder.

For a fresh Windows XP installation:
 - Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options
 - Check that EVERYTHING in the Regional Options tab is set to English (United Kingdom)
 - Click the Languages tab
 - Click the Details button
 - Ensure that you have English (United Kingdom) installed and set to be the default language. I tend to find the only way to get Windows to truly behave is to then also remove any other languages.
 - Click OK.
 - Click the Advanced tab (this is the setting Windows often "neglects" to change when you chose UK English during installation).
 - In the Language for Non-Unicode Programs section, select English (United Kingdom) from the drop-down box.
 - If on a multi-user system, tick the check-box below that says Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user profile. Note that this will NOT apply your settings to other users already configured on the PC. You'll need to run through these steps for all of them. It just means that when you do create a new user, they'll have the correct language settings.
 - Click OK.

Your system might whinge that it can't remove languages until reboot, or that it needs your XP CD. Do whatever it wants - life's easier that way.

I'm led to believe that Vista is more well-behaved when it comes to regional settings, but I've no guarantee, as I've never installed it.

For a Windows XP PC that already has Word and is misbehaving linguistically:
 - Follow all the above steps.
 - Go to Start -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools.
 - Open Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings or Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings (depending on version you have installed, obviously).
 - If Office 2003:  Click the Enabled Languages tab. In the Choose the language that defines default behavior in Microsoft Office applications box, select the language you want, and then click OK.
 - If Office 2007: You're already in the correct tab. Select the language you want and click OK.
 - A message appears describing the effects of the change. To continue, click Continue and lose customizations.

There you all have it!

Offline Peter Coleborn

• Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:33:11 pm »
A belated thanks for this info, Troo. I do know how to do this, amazingly. Even at my place of work (ex-place of work, now), I received all sorts of electronic documents, official ones at that, using US spelling -- and US paper sizes (meaning that their nicely formatted notices and letters looked stupid when printed on A4).

Troo

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 10:05:33 am »
At least you can just c'n'p that post to them whenever you get one now :)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 05:35:26 pm »
I'm going to ruminate on the guidelines for a while, rather than changing them off the bat, so for now contributors should continue to follow the Dark Horizon guidelines as written by Jan and Peter (who's been kind enough to say it's okay for me to use and adapt them).

But to avoid any confusion, I've edited Jen's original post to insert my own address.