Author Topic: Blade Runner  (Read 7094 times)

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
Blade Runner
« on: July 19, 2006, 03:48:06 PM »
Online shops have a "re-mastered director's cut" DVD of Ridley Scott's film, due out 9 October.
Anyone read or heard rumours about disc extras?
 ???

ChrisT

Re: Blade Runner
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:44:23 AM »
No, but there is a new dvd out next year for the 25th Anniversary: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=36328

Yes, I will be getting it.  ;D

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:11:18 AM »
Does it come with tips on origami?  ;)

Leaf  8)
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

tamsyn

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:50:47 PM »
Just seen to buy today today BladeRunner: The Final Cut, which is out in cinemas soon and is reviewed in this month's Empire as very good indeed. If you get it at Amazon there is a collector's tin version with 5 discs and includes the soundtrack. Out at the end of November I think.

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which is out in cinemas soon

Very limited release, in UK from  23rd November, at Picture House cinemas... mostly just in London, it seems!
 :(

tamsyn

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:12:46 PM »
boo to that. I will just have to make do with my tin.

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:52:50 PM »
Anyone else seen the Final Cut DVD yet?
What did you think of this new version?

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »
Got my 5 disc tin set on Monday and have been giving it fanboy geek-feast all week!!!  ;D

That's what I love about DVD; it not only says, 'Look, it's okay to be a geek.' It also says, 'In fact, it's cool to be a geek - and to prove it here's 5 discs dedicated to one movie!'

Ah, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

RE: Pigasus - The Final Cut edits are very subtle, more 'restoration' than a new edit. Thankfully there's no George Lucas style revisionism here.

Incidentally, Pigasus, I strongly recommend you get yourself over to the superb Bladezone messageboard for a more indepth look at the movie:

http://bladezone.com/forum.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:30:35 PM by Paul Campbell »

ChrisT

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:11:48 PM »
Well, I've watched the workprint and also the Final Cut - the film is still a classic, and as Paul stated, the "edits" are pretty much little cosmetic touches; the main being the insertion of a new background when the dove flies off at the end.

What disappointed me, though, is the lack of Deckard visiting Holden in hospital - when I first heard about this release, the rumours, there was even a still photograph circulating showing such a scene... but nothing in the "Final Cut" - perhaps a cynical move from Yorkin, Perenchio and Warners to release "The Definitive Cut" later?  ::)

Next up is the documentary - looks very fascinating, but I've read Future Noir so we shall see.

Overall, a very worthy purchase... with a very slight disappointment.

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
Hmm... sounds to me Chris like you bought the 2 disc edition!

The hostipal scene is included in the deleted scenes on disc 4 of the boxset.

Have you ever seen this scene? (incidentally, there's TWO Holden hospital scenes!)

Why was it cut from the original release, and still remains cut from the Final Cut?

Because it's bad.

Really. Really bad.

Terrible dialogue, hammy acting on the Holden actor's part. Just... well, bad stuff!

No one, but NO ONE, on the fanatical Bladezone messageboard has lamented the non-inclusion of this scene in the Final Cut.  ;)

ChrisT

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »
The hostipal scene is included in the deleted scenes on disc 4 of the boxset.

Have you ever seen this scene? (incidentally, there's TWO Holden hospital scenes!)

No one, but NO ONE, on the fanatical Bladezone messageboard has lamented the non-inclusion of this scene in the Final Cut.  ;)

Ah, not watched the 4th disc yet - only seen the workprint and final cut; got the making of in the player ready.

Didn't realise those scenes were that bad... but I'm glad we can still see them.  ;D

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 09:32:16 PM »
Anyone's still curious, that deleted scene is now on Youtube (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpLoDADYF5g, probably elsewhere too), along with most of the cut scenes. (And you're right, it doesn't add much to the film.)

I think this more and more about director's cuts really: they were cut for a reason. 80% of the time the studio cut was better. (I saw the director's cut of Dust Devil over Christmas. Whew, what a stinker!)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 07:18:44 AM »
I watched Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau over Christmas. Having seen that, it doesn't surprise me that the director's cut of Dust Devil wasn't very good. Amazing that the guy ever got into a position where people were giving him money to make films.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »
Hardware wasn't terrible, and I'd heard good things about Dust Devil. I can't help but think the cinematic release must have been seriously rescued by a studio-hired editor or something. More so than usual.

(Any counter-examples? Some good stuff in Bladerunner Director's Cut, but any others?)

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 07:47:55 AM »
I liked the director's cut of Aliens - it's more strategic, watching the bullets on the auto-guns count down as the aliens throw themselves against them, trying to get into where the protagonists are holed up. The director's cut of Chronicles of Riddick is much better than the cinema film too, with some weird visions that tell you more about Riddick's origin. The director's cut of Daredevil makes you realise the entire plot was cut out of the cinema version, making it just a series of fights.

I'd love to see a director's cut of The Master of Disguise, one of the funniest films ever made, even after being savagely edited down to seventy or eighty minutes. One of the film's biggest twists happens in the deleted scenes.

There's a similar thing in the film of Dungeons & Dragons - the entire film only makes sense if you watch the deleted scenes, which explain why the characters are going where they're going and doing what they're doing. Don't think I could take a director's cut of that one, though.