Author Topic: Blade Runner  (Read 7064 times)

Offline MrGrimstone

• Peasant Arch Deacon of Greater Loogie
  • Initiate
  • Um.....nope, I have nothing.
    • View Profile
    • Official David Grimstone Website
Re: Blade Runner
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
I wanted to like Dungeons & Dragons so badly that I told myself it was merely poor until the dwarf arrived and the whole thing descended below horrific. As a lifelong D&D GM and player, I take a few consolations in the fact that Jeremy Irons was OK as Profeon and that the battle between the wizards and the dragons was decent.

Otherwise, I just tell myself that it never happened and pretend that they're currently making TV series based on the first ten modules....now THAT would be quality
Author of The Illmoor Chronicles (2003-2007), Davey Swag (2008), Gladiator Boy (2009-2010), Undead Ed (2011-2012) and - forthcoming - Outcasts: Game (2016-2018) Publishers: Disney USA, Hodder UK, Penguin USA, Open Road USA /Agents: The Sophie Hicks Agency

Offline Ken Magee

• Reader & writer
  • Initiate
  • Fantasy lover - reading, reviewing and writing.
    • View Profile
    • Ken Magee Author
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
Hardware wasn't terrible, and I'd heard good things about Dust Devil. I can't help but think the cinematic release must have been seriously rescued by a studio-hired editor or something. More so than usual.

(Any counter-examples? Some good stuff in Bladerunner Director's Cut, but any others?)

There are a lot of people who would disagree with your analysis of Hardware... personally I quite liked it. But, I also liked Battlefield Earth so my taste probably puts me in a tiny minority.
Ancient magic meets the Internet
The Trilogy - laugh while civilisation comes to an end.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
No, I liked Hardware too—I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it was watchable and pretty well done. Some very cool imagery, unusually original and effective on a small budget. It was Dust Devil that I thought sucked goats. :P

Offline Ken Magee

• Reader & writer
  • Initiate
  • Fantasy lover - reading, reviewing and writing.
    • View Profile
    • Ken Magee Author
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »
No, I liked Hardware too—I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it was watchable and pretty well done. Some very cool imagery, unusually original and effective on a small budget. It was Dust Devil that I thought sucked goats. :P

And what about Battlefield Earth? We need to know! Not John Travolta's greatest moment (that was Pulp Fiction), but not a bad effort.
Ancient magic meets the Internet
The Trilogy - laugh while civilisation comes to an end.

Offline Rolnikov

• TQF co-editor
  • BFS Reviewers
  • Elder Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Theaker's Quarterly Fiction
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
Oh, it was, it was terrible. Even worse than the book. (And that smelt funny and gave me a rash!) I laugh every time I hear the word leverage. Poor Forest Whitaker.

Offline Djibril

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • The Future Fire
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
Otherwise, I just tell myself that it never happened and pretend that they're currently making TV series based on the first ten modules....now THAT would be quality

I occasionally think back to this line, and wonder again how brilliant this would be. It would be pretty amazing to see Hollywood (or whoever) pay for the film/TV rights to the authors of those modules, and there's no doubt the stories are very tellable—but wow, what an SFX budget they'd need! Given the poor history of RPG movies, and the fact that D&D is sadly less of a marketable commodity that superhero comics, I don't see that investment happening. Still, we can dream. Have to be something better than that Blame of Prones, or whatever it's called! ;)

Offline Johan Fundin

• Initiate
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • FantastikThrillerSpace
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
Blade Runner and Hardware - I love them both. Blade Runner is one of my favourite films.