Author Topic: David Gemmell Memorial Award  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Stan Nicholls

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stannicholls.com
David Gemmell Memorial Award
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:15:54 pm »
A very lively exchange is ongoing in this forum under the topic heading A General Observation on Awards Questionnaires.  Several issues of importance concerning the BFS and its ethos are being discussed, and I?d urge everyone to read and consider the thread, and contribute their thoughts. 

I thought it might be useful to disentangle one aspect of the discussion and make it easier to find for those who may be interested.

Fantasy author David Lee Stone has suggested the establishment of a David Gemmell Memorial Award, to be incorporated in the British Fantasy Awards given annually at Fantasycon.  The proposed award would be voted for by British Fantasy Society members, as currently happens with all the other categories.  One idea being promoted is that the award should be for Best Newcomer in the fantasy fiction field, and all novels in that category would be eligible for nomination by the membership. 

The Fantasycon committee have kindly agreed to discuss the proposal at their AGM during this year?s convention (Nottingham, 22nd-24th September). 

Given that not all BFS members, or other interested parties, will be able to attend Fantasycon, I?m starting this thread as a place where people can post their comments about the proposal.  I know the committee will take all opinions into consideration.

I'm also posting this message in the Writers section, to make it more visible. 

SN

VirgilKain

Re: David Gemmell Memorial Award
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 07:40:16 pm »
I think this is a good start to bringing in the new blood I have been talking about.
David Gemmel is and always will be a hero of fantasy and an award for best newcomer in his name would be awesome.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 07:46:36 pm by Garry Charles »