Author Topic: AGM Agenda and proposals/motions  (Read 10616 times)

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
AGM Agenda and proposals/motions
« on: August 16, 2006, 04:18:05 pm »
Hiya chaps!

Still getting the final details sorted out for the AGM Agenda for this year...

Meantime, anyone with any motions/proposals etc. for the Any Other Business spot..  shoot...  (BFS members only, we will check!!)

Dave Lee Stone has proposed:  Splitting the August Derleth Best Novel into 2 specific genre categories, and creation of an award that commemorates David Gemmell.  So there'd be:  August Derleth Best Horror Novel & David Gemmell Best Fantasy Novel...

Offline Lermontov

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Re: AGM Agenda and proposals/motions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:41:37 pm »
I for one propose a revamp of the website itself. The Forum headings are confusing and not clearly focused in my opinion.

There ought to be separate forums for 'Fantasy Writing'; 'Horror Writing' etc. Surfers last about a millisecond on a site if they don't see a clear tab for the thing they are interested in.

e.g.

Please feel free to start your own threads or post on any of the existing ones that I've transferred across to the general forum below.

What 'General Forum', where? Do we mean the Forum in general? The Welcome page should be exactly that. A sticky at the top welcoming them and inviting folk who come and join the website to introduce themselves.

I propose a complete revamp of the website itself in order to attract more potential members. The titles of individual forum rooms ought to be self-explanatory for starters. Well, that's my two pence worth. Just a suggestion.  :)

Offline Marie O'Regan

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.marieoregan.net
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:51:38 pm »
I can answer this one :) I do know that our webmaster is working on a site revamp, but as I'm sure you'll understand, we're all volunteers and he has a day job and family, so it is taking some time, fitting it in between everything else. This is a massive site. It is in the works, though, so keep checking back.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 09:13:20 pm »
Mind you... when you say website... do you mean the main website, or the forum section of it...?

Offline Lermontov

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:54:51 pm »
I do know that our webmaster is working on a site revamp, but as I'm sure you'll understand, we're all volunteers and he has a day job and family, so it is taking some time, fitting it in between everything else. This is a massive site. It is in the works, though, so keep checking back

I respect that implicitly Marie and I know that pretty much goes for the BFS as an entity and I certainly appreciate it, as I've no doubt the vast majority of members do. I've no idea how much effort goes into an Fcon for example - tons no question - and the people who do it have day jobs. Hats off to you all.

Regarding the website and in answer to Jen's question:

Mind you... when you say website... do you mean the main website, or the forum section of it...?

I mean the whole enchilada! Maybe it's just me but I find the homepage pallid and overcluttered with info that looks like lots of text unless you really scan through closely. I'm not suggesting it be garish with lots of silly annoying flashes (none of the damn things!) but it is virtually monochrome at present and none too inviting. Maybe that's just me and purists will say it's the content that matters but on the Net presentation is everything at the beginning. There's lots of information but it doesn't grab the eye from the off, you really have to look for it when I feel that there should be striking 'hooks'.

The black BFS dragon logo is too small and could do with a fiery red blush to its edges or something! For the British Fantasy Society it doesn't say "Fantasy" (or Horror etc.) when you first come across it. And this is a society that has long standing associations with some pretty remarkable artists connected with the collection of genres.

And 'The man with the funny moustache' just isn't funny after the umpteenth time of seeing him!

I feel the website as a whole needs more colour and clarity in the overhaul, in my humble opinion! And I do appreciate the fact that it is being maintained and will get an overhaul from someone doing it for love and by their good graces.

C.R. Barker

AGM Proposal for appointing a BFS President
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 10:09:17 am »
(Mostly for Marie / Vicky / Jenny et al because my Outlook Express has been playing up after someone hacked into my pc)

I have requested via email that the following resolution be included in the forthcoming BFS AGM:

"I propose that if the current President of the BFS elects to stand down that the BFS spends a month soliciting new candidates to come forward via both a paper mailshot and an online process through the BFS website. This would allow any prospective candidates a reasonable chance to outline their views about the direction they would like to see the BFS going in while also allowing rank-and-file members the opportunity to think carefully in advance about who they would like to see elected."

Although I have not attended a BFS AGM, I suspect that it cannot be so well attended as to properly represent the views of the majority of BFS members. Indeed, those who can and do attend might represent only one point of view. Furthermore, I wonder just how daunting it might be for any rival candidate to suddenly stand up to put him or herself forward for consideration.

As far as I can see, there is no urgent hurry to elect a President. I think that taking a month out to consult and consider options is a very sensible option to pursue.

Christopher Barker
http://hauntedriver.co.uk
http://hitler-symphonies.co.uk

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 11:44:00 am »
Another proposal received:  from Dave Lee Stone, seconded by several others.

Creation of a Best Newcomer award to be named after David Gemmell

Offline Marie O'Regan

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • http://www.marieoregan.net
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 12:07:20 pm »
Chris, just in case you don't get my email - your proposal has been noted, and should Ramsey confirm at the AGM that he does indeed wish to stand down, then your proposal will be raised and discussed with all others.

C.R. Barker

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 02:16:46 pm »
Chris, just in case you don't get my email - your proposal has been noted, and should Ramsey confirm at the AGM that he does indeed wish to stand down, then your proposal will be raised and discussed with all others.

Thanks Marie!

VirgilKain

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:21:10 pm »
I'm sure I saw a mention up here somewhere of voting for a new president every year at the AGM.
I thought this idea was a very good one. The swapping between fantasy based and horror based years was also good.

I have to agree that the website does need a revamp, it also needs the news updating at far more regular intervals. I could do without Prism if the website was updated with release news etc.... every couple of months. It is bland to look at and does nothing to draw visitors in.

As to the forums they too need spicing up and it would be nice to see them used more often. In the past twelve months it has only got busy as people shout nominate me. I've even been known to visit and just post to myself. This says that the members aren't visiting often enough, only those trying to sell something and they only seem interested in their own products. No one seems to give each other a "WELL DONE" or the like.
Members should be using these forums to communicate far more. We really are letting ourselves down.

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 06:26:42 pm »
A note on proposals:

Have recently been reminded that, actually, if anyone wants to raise a proposal/motion in absentia, they have to email Marie with details, and also the names of 2 seconders as this is the proper procedure...  motions etc. raised live at the agm need to be seconded live by 2 people....

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 06:37:33 pm »
... but enough about procedure...  ;D

I have to agree that the website does need a revamp, it also needs the news updating at far more regular intervals. I could do without Prism if the website was updated with release news etc.... every couple of months. It is bland to look at and does nothing to draw visitors in.

One of the things we have discussed for the new look site is having a news blog so that news can be updated daily/weekly/whenever we get it - and by multiple people, so that it takes a little stress away from our Pete!  Will let you know how that one progresses...   :D

As to the forums they too need spicing up and it would be nice to see them used more often. In the past twelve months it has only got busy as people shout nominate me. I've even been known to visit and just post to myself. This says that the members aren't visiting often enough, only those trying to sell something and they only seem interested in their own products. No one seems to give each other a "WELL DONE" or the like.
Members should be using these forums to communicate far more. We really are letting ourselves down.

Oh god yes, couldn't agree more (and I'm just as guilty!)  - it gets so depressing having such a ghost forum.
And wouldn't it be great if all the new board-ites who've signed up and started posting recently, stayed and posted some more...   (you guard the back door, I'll take the front, anyone tries to escape, we bop 'em....  ;)  )

We could do with some mindless fun chatter threads way down in the general chat section, just to pep it up a bit...

Offline Lermontov

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 07:26:40 pm »
Half a dozen Mods (with basic editing access to get rid of spam and such) along with the Global Mods would generate regular chatter and thereby help attract more traffic, Jen!

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 09:21:16 pm »
Ah, but that one's down to Marie and Pete K. as the universal overlord & lady (and big board boss) administrators...  :D

So, are you saying that getting on more mods would give the mods a bigger investment in the board, and hence, make them post more?

Offline Lermontov

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 09:41:37 pm »
Jen, yes. I honestly think it works that way. If you are a Mod in a particular forum room and a Mod as part of the whole forum you do feel a certain amount or responsibility to it. There ought to be a commitment as a given that as a Mod you visit the forum once a day! And post stuff and respond to it. It will in itself generate traffic.