Author Topic: New member joins the flock...  (Read 10458 times)

Matt Curran

New member joins the flock...
« on: April 04, 2006, 04:26:07 pm »
Not one to dance about with his hands in the air, just thought I'd say hello before I start posting replies on the site.

I've been a member of the BFS since last Autumn and this is the first time I've registered on the forum...

Without making this sound like an AA meet, I've been into anything remotely fantastical since I was an embryo (I was weened on fantasy and science fiction by my broadminded parents) and have been writing since I was able to form a sentence.  I'm still a newbie in terms of the 'net, but I have a blog somewhere in this nest of wires, chips and electrical signals flying about the ether, and I'll be getting a website in the summer.

And... without too much plugging... my first novel, The Secret War, is being published by Macmillan in Jan 2007.

Cheers

;)

ChrisT

Re: New member joins the flock...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:52:28 am »
Welcome Matt, what's the novel about?

Matt Curran

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 09:25:11 am »
Hi Chris

The Secret War is a historical dark-fantasy set just after the Battle of Waterloo. Two survivors of the battle, William Saxon and Kieran Harte, are thrown into a secret war between Heaven and Hell when a daemon is let loose in the town they are resting in.  The book follows their adventures of revenge and revelation from the fields of Belgium to England, then Rome and northern Italy; along the way there are battles aplenty on land and sea, between vampyres, daemons, angels and monks.
The Secret War comes in at just over 400 pages, and should be out in hardback in Jan 2007.  At the moment I'm also writing the follow-up called (provisionally) The Burning Sands of Time.

ChrisT

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 09:55:05 am »
Not a huge fan of fantasy, but I do like alternate histories so I'll keep an eye out for this...

To be frank, I was never quite sure about Macmillan's "New Writing Scheme" when I first read about, thought it sounded like publishing on the cheap - minimal editing, minimal advertising/publicity, et al - but reading your blog (http://www.writingblock.co.uk/forum/weblog.php?w=6) and it does sound like a possible root for the aspiring novellist.

As for your tale about graduation, yep, it's been just over ten years since I left Uni and, well, where did it all go?  ???

Matt Curran

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 10:18:26 am »
Tell me about it!  The only down-side to mini-reunions are the brief freaking-out sessions when we discover it has been so long since we graduated, yet it only seems like a week ago.

On the MNW front, it really has been a positive thing for me.  I've been looked after very well by Mike Barnard and Will Atkins (I'm going down to London to see them both on Thursday for the MNW imprint launch).  I have more control over the book than I originally thought, from the content to the cover, and despite not getting an advance (which I'm not wholly bothered about) I reckon the deal isn't bad at all. Judging by the treatment of the writers that are being published this month, MNW are really serious about this venture and have set up a lot of events to publicise the venture and the writers involved.  However, I guess it will be down to the quality of the writing at the end of the day, that makes or breaks the imprint.
 :)

mareess

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:49:47 pm »
Hi Matt!  Like you I have just found the fabulous fantasy website (as you can probably tell by my pitiful post count.  er...1!!  :-X) and thought it was about time I made some fabulous fantasy friends!  It didn't take me long to find a suitable thread for me to introduce myself in, so here I am!  I have been a fan of fantasy for as long as I can remember myself (or rather for as long as I care to remember!)  and I am also a recently published author.  Congrats on the book by the way!  I will have to look out for it.  Isn't seeing it in print just the BEST!!

I am also thinking of attending some of these open days and other events.  Can anyone tell me what they are really like?  Apologies if this has been covered in another topic, but I haven't got that far down the forums yet!  :-[

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 09:30:46 pm »
The Open Nights are fun.  Went to my first one in March and really enjoyed it (and I don't usually 'do' pubs)  - if you don't know anyone, search out one of the committee peeps and tell them you're new and they'll introduce you around to folks.

And Fantasycon is absolutely, no question, the best thing, ever, in the history of the world...  ;D

Matt Curran

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 08:57:00 am »
Hi Jen and mareess

Haven't been to an open night but have booked myself and the missus into Fantasycon in September. 
As for the book... The Secret War hasn't been published yet (it comes out from Macmillan in January 2007) but just seeing the typeset copy and the cover design has turned me into an excitable kid again.  God knows what I'll be like in Jan next year!

ChrisT

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 12:40:08 pm »
Only just sent my cheque in for the Con, but it'll be my fifth FantasyCon - don't forget to bring some flyers along to advertise the book, Matt.

Matt Curran

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 01:57:10 pm »
No worries Chris.  I'll hopefully have some promotional material together by the end of August.  Macmillan generally release stuff such as samplers, posters, postcards etc for the book, so I'll have a word with my editor and his publishing assistant to find out how quickly he can get them for the convention.

See you there!

Matt ;)

Vicky

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 04:06:37 pm »
Which reminds me, if anyone reading this wants to have the chance to meet a top editor while at FantasyCon please email me on aunico@hotmail.com 

There are still spaces left with John Jarrold (only just!), Simon Taylor, Jo Fletcher and Dot Lumley.  Appointments will be during the Saturday and are available to convention-registered people, times to be confirmed soon.

Thanks!
Vicky

PS Best wishes with your book Matt, if anything is ready, we'd love to have your flyers.  You can put them around the foyer or into goody bags, let us know nearer the time when you know what's what.

Offline Wayne Mook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 03:17:24 pm »
Hello Mat and Marees,

As you can see I have lurked here for sometime.

FantasyCon is fab, not been to any of the Open Nights but one day...

Good luck with the book Mat.

I always avoid the Uni r-unions. I'm still in touch with some of the people though. Good times but so long ago.

Wayne.

Matt Curran

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 01:33:11 pm »
Cheers guys. 

Spoke to my editor and while he said it's a little too soon for promotional stuff, he understands the importance of the convention and will get the designers to produce around fifty flyers for the Nottingham event.

I don't mind Uni re-unions; the good times were a while ago (about ten years) but to be honest my old uni friends still come up to Sheffield now and again (one of them, Dave Budd, is attending the convention with me and my wife, Sarah). For us, reunions are just excuses to get everyone together in the same place and on the same night.  They're allso a great excuse to get completely hammered! :D

Offline Debbie

• Thaumaturge
  • x
    • View Profile
    • http://www.debbiebennett.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 10:41:43 pm »
Matt - send me 250-300 flyers (at the usual FantasyCon address) and I'll stuff them into the goody bags and then everyone can get one!

Debbie