Author Topic: Iron Man - Robert Downey Jr.  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Lermontov

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
Iron Man - Robert Downey Jr.
« on: September 30, 2006, 09:00:57 am »
The latest Marvel Comics superhero to hit the screens has just been announced:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5393500.stm

Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man? I'm trying to see it, but so far I can't. But he is a superb actor, and maybe he'll do a Michael Keaton, another superb actor, who was sniffed at when announced years back as one of DC's most famous superheroes, and who has never been bettered as a big screen Batman in my book!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:09:43 am by Lermontov »

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
Re: Iron Man - Robert Downey Jr.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 02:15:30 am »
Nicholas Cage has been shortlisted to play Ghost Rider.

Rumour has it that Heath Ledger will be the Joker in a new Batman movie (oh why wasn't it Mark Hamill?  :-\)

The Silver Surfer and Galactacus will probably be battling the Fantastic Four in a couple of years.

And the Sandman will be coming to put Spidey to bed in May...

Robert Downey Junior was excellent in Richard III, he should be excellent as the drunken millionaire in Iron Man  ;D

If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 08:47:10 am »

Hardly. He's already finished filming it!  ;)

Quote from: joshua rainbird
[Rumour has it that Heath Ledger will be the Joker in a new Batman movie (oh why wasn't it Mark Hamill?? :-\)

That's been confirmed now, actually. I was hoping that the original rumour that it would be Paul Bettany was going to be true, as long as he played it like Gangster Number 1 and not like Wimbledon...  ;D

Jay
http://www.factorfictionpress.co.uk

Offline Pigasus

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • VideoVista
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 11:41:57 am »
Hardly. He's already finished filming it!

Yes, I wish they'd get this off the shelf and release the film...
Cage playing a 'superhero' ought to be fun!

Back on topic (sort of), I noticed that Orson Scott Card has written the Ultimate Iron Man comic book. 
Anyone read that?
I wonder if it will be the basis for (or at least an influence on) the new IM film...

Offline Jay Eales

• Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Factor  Fiction
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 02:41:14 pm »
Hardly. He's already finished filming it!

Yes, I wish they'd get this off the shelf and release the film...
Cage playing a 'superhero' ought to be fun!

Back on topic (sort of), I noticed that Orson Scott Card has written the Ultimate Iron Man comic book.?
Anyone read that?
I wonder if it will be the basis for (or at least an influence on) the new IM film...

I think I read a few brief lines about the movie storyline, and it did seem as if there would be quite some influence from the OSC version. I read the comics, and that's the first work by Card I have read, if truth be told. It was... okay.

It was nothing like the original version of the story, but then it was the Ultimate Iron Man origin, so you expect things to vary a lot. It was mostly about the childhood of Tony Stark, and how his father developed technologies to get round Tony's screwy immune system (as opposed to a heart defect causing Stark to develop the Iron Man armour chestplate to keep his heart going, while being forced to build a weapon for the Commies... ;-)

There was quite a lot of high school stuff where young Tony gets his own back on school bullies and the like. Actually, I'm probably not doing the story any favours, am I?

It was an okay comic, but I don't know that I'd rave about it.

Jay
http://www.factorfictionpress.co.uk

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Whirlpool
  • Thaumaturge
  • To write. To be truly read. That must be glorious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »
To be honest I was never a fan of Iron Man in the comic books, I could take them or leave them, so wasn't entirely stoked-up at the idea of a film version. At the request of my friend I took her grandson to see it, while she took her grand-daughter into another screen to watch something girly. So, there I was, sitting in a noisy cinema, waiting for the 10,000 decibel THX adverts and general ear-melting racket to start. Not thrilled. That was until the film got going.

Iron Man was one of the best superhero films I'd ever seen, not merely because of the special effects, but because the plot was fairly sensible, and Downey brought a modern Tony Stark to life in very believable fashion. The rest of the acting was ok, but Downey seems to do no wrong these days, and I am glad about that.

I am glad Heath Ledger played the Joker, for obvious reasons. Mark Hamill... I could see him being more a 'Riddler' to be honest. As for Paul Bettany/Gangster Number One... Yep, definitely.

Offline Tony Williams

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
    • Home page
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10:40 am »
I seem to be working through superhero movies at the moment, even though I'm not a fan of the genre and scarcely looked at any comics even in my youth, let alone since. However, good ones do make for stress-free undemanding entertainment and there have been some critically acclaimed examples recently, among them the Iron Man films.

Robert Downey plays Tony Stark, the womanising engineer/genius inventor head of a major armaments firm, who is injured and captured by terrorists in Afghanistan and held for three months, supposedly working on a weapon for them. In fact, he is building a prototype powered armoured suit with which he escapes, but he has been changed by his ordeal and decides to stop making armaments. Back home, he is opposed by Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges), his deputy, but supported by his adoring assistant, Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow). He works on perfecting his powered, flying and fighting suit, using an "arc reactor" of his own invention to provide almost limitless power. With this, he returns to Afghanistan to take on the terrorists and is later faced with an even more grave threat at home, when he is challenged by a second "iron man" built using his original plans. The first film ends with his identity as "Iron Man" revealed.

Iron Man is as good as Nolan's Batman films - which is to say, very good indeed - with Downey being remarkably convincing as the conflicted inventor. His performance dominates the screen, with Patrow very good in the supporting role; the on-screen chemistry between them works well.

As a result, I looked forward to the sequel, Iron Man 2. Sadly, this is just a rehash of the first, with yet another "Iron Man" emerging to challenge him. The film tries to distract the audience from noticing the lack of original ideas by introducing Scarlett Johansson as an athletic secret agent and throwing in more fight scenes and bigger explosions, but it doesn't really work and I was relieved when it ended. It isn't a bad film by most standards, but was a major disappointment after Iron Man.

(An extract from my SFF blog)
Anthony G Williams homepage and SFF blog