Author Topic: Hello to All...  (Read 5357 times)

Alex Davis

Hello to All...
« on: October 13, 2006, 05:57:32 pm »
Hi All,

By way of an introduction...the 'introduce yourself' board basically told me in big red letters that no-one had posted there in ages so here goes...

My name is Alex Davis and I've just joined both the BFS and FantasyCon committees. I see some familiar names on the boards and also some unfamiliar names, so I though it best to give a bit of background to myself. I'll be working on events for the BFS and publicity for FCon.

I've been working as Literature Development Officer in Derby City for about a year now, and prior to that was the co-ordinator for the Nottingham Poetry in the City festival. I've also worked in Tourist Information and ran a writing group (Sepulchre Dark Writing- what else?) for around 2 years. Prior to that I studied Creative Writing at the University of Derby.

I've always been interested in good horror, fantasy and science-fiction writing which I why I developed Alt.Fiction, which took place in Derby last year and goes on again next year. In this way I came across various members of the BFS, and in time I was honoured to be considered for a role in both the BFS and FantasyCon, which I was delighted was accepted at the AGM.

Most of my current post involves running events with other aspects such as helping budding writers and writing groups, pointing people in the right direction for publication and generally advising and assisting those people interested in literature in all its forms. I've always loved running events and I can't think of a non-cheesy way to put that I love helping people to enjoy themselves and perhaps exposing them to something new.

That was probably all terribly boring but at least it's now out of the way...if anybody does want to ask anything then fire away here or I'll be getting the internet set up again at home soon after a few blips, so I'll post my e-mail here when that's all sorted out. FCon was absolutely excellent last year and it'll be great to be involved this time around.

So that was hello, and this is goodbye...

Alex

David Lee Stone

Re: Hello to All...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:58:59 pm »
Hey Alex

Welcome! :-)

ChrisT

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:11:35 pm »
Welcome aboard Alex, and.... booom booooooom!  ;D

Offline Paul Campbell

• BFS Reviewers
  • Thaumaturge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 11:31:33 pm »
Hi Alex!

After helping out this year at FantasyCon they wanted to vote me onto the committee too and, eh, kinda did...  ???

... but then that was totally KO'ed and boo-hooed when they later discovered I wasn't a member!  ::) :o ;D

Hey, it was my first FCon and I'd only ever vaguely heard of the BFS let alone joined up to it!  ;D (everyone assumed I was a member, thus the confusion post-con!)

But I had a great time this year, was warmly welcomed by Pat, Jen, Vicky and Debbie (and everyone!) so I'll definitely be there next year volunteering to help out at registration again.

Welcome aboard!!!

VirgilKain

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 05:15:15 am »
Alex,

Good to see some new blood on the team.
I spoke to you at FCon and I hope you do well as a member of the comittee. ;D

Offline Jen

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jennybarber.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 04:14:53 pm »
New blood...  mwa ha ha...   :-*  Must dust off the book with the initiation rituals in...   ;D   

Alex Davis

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 09:42:13 am »
Hands off my blood Jen...I'd rather hang onto it if you don't mind...

And a resounding (or should I say booming?) boom boom right back at you Chris...

Thanks

Alex