Author Topic: Hello from another newbie  (Read 8894 times)

michaelamos

Hello from another newbie
« on: November 14, 2006, 09:26:29 pm »
Hi,

I've just joined the BFS and I thought that I had better introduce myself.  I live just outside Oxford and I write, SF, fantasy and contemporary fiction.  I've been fortunate enough to have my first SF novel out in print recently and have just had my first contemporary fiction novel accepted by the same publisher.  I am in the process of writing the sequel to the SF novel and am planning a fantasy trilogy.  I have a natty website at www.michaelamos.net - please take a look and sign my guestbook if you feel so inclined.

Am I allowed to tell people about the SF novel I have out or is plugging considered bad form?  I've had two glowing reviews which was nice, made all the better by the fact that I don't know the people who wrote them!  (and no, I didn't pay them either...:)

In addition to writing novels, I also write articles for the local papers and magazines (I've had stuff in the Oxford Times, a UK glossy called The Countryman, one news article in New Scientist plus a load of other mags you won't of heard of).

Sadly, none of this adds up to a living wage so I have a day job doing the computer systems at Oxford University.  One day I *will* sell shed loads of books.

All the best,

Michael Amos
www.michaelamos.net

Offline Andrew Hook

• Barbarian Monarch
    • View Profile
    • http://www.andrew-hook.com
Re: Hello from another newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 10:51:58 pm »
Hi Michael

It can get quite quiet around here at times, but congratulations on the book deal. Best way to get to know people would be to come along to the next open night in London on 8th December (I think it is!). It's sure to be packed!

Troo

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:02:10 am »
You can meet my mother, and she will tell you all writers make buckets of cash and that you are lying because she knows best  ;D

Welcome aboard! I be a noob too! They're very nice here, but sometimes they want to strip you naked and cover you in ghee. You get used to it after a while...

Sean

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 10:20:15 am »
Hello Michael!

michaelamos

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 09:27:42 pm »
Welcome aboard! I be a noob too! They're very nice here, but sometimes they want to strip you naked and cover you in ghee. You get used to it after a while...

I quite like the sound of the ghee thing.  Will that be happening on Dec 8th?  Silly me, there was I thinking this was a site about Fantasy novels.

I won't be able to attend as I live in Oxford and have small children.

Michael Amos
www.michaelamos.net

ChrisT

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 09:35:55 am »

I quite like the sound of the ghee thing.  Will that be happening on Dec 8th?  Silly me, there was I thinking this was a site about Fantasy novels.

Easy mistake to make, Michael... I tell people I'm a member of the BFS and I can see them conjuring up images of whips and chains, which come to think of it...

Troo

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 12:21:21 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you're implying here...  ;D

michaelamos

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 08:29:13 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you're implying here...  ;D

There's a report to moderator link, you know... ;)

What I *meant* was - and anyone with small children will know what I mean - all the things normal people take for granted like going down the pub with your mates, going to the cinema, going to see bands, in fact doing anything along the lines of having an adult social life are completely out of the question.  Writing novels in the evenings is allowed (hooray)

Having said that, my son (aged 7 11/12) has got very much into playing Dungeons and Dragons, having discovered my old metal figures and rules in the attic.  Is geekdom a learnt behavioural trait or is it genetically ingrained? - discuss...

Michael Amos
www.michaelamos.net

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 07:45:21 pm »
Probably a dominant gene that is nurtured by geekotypal parents.  ;) 

Both my godsons show definite traits- the eldest (nephew 23 years) is a biochemist, wears glasses (always a dead giveaway) and possesses an encyclopaedic knowledge of Apple Computers; the younger (unrelated 5 years) has a penchant for drama, wants to be Captain Britain and knows nearly every mythological creature going.
Godson 2 also loves D&D and has developed an ingenious way of dealing with goblins- offer them a jelly baby and perhaps they'll be friends, if not stick them up their noses (an old Tom Baker trick, no doubt).

I like to believe eccentricity is divinely inspired and therefore favour the viewpoint that geeks are created in God's image.  ;D
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Troo

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 03:51:16 pm »
wants to be Captain Britain

Possibly best to keep him away from the whiskey, then...

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 06:39:36 pm »
Whiskey and strange men at Stonehenge, methinks...
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

michaelamos

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 08:35:56 pm »
I think that your godson could solve many of the problems currently troubling the world.  If only Bush could just offer the terrorists a jelly baby, maybe we could all be friends?

Perhaps his aides have already put that to him and he plain refused to share.

Anyway, my son graduated to playing "The Awful Green Things from Outer Space" at the weekend, if anyone knows that one?  The poor boy doesn't stand a chance since I am a complete nerd.  I don't "do" roleplaying games any more, I've graduated to sitting for hours on end obsessing about two lines of my novel  :-\

Michael Amos
www.michaelamos.net