Author Topic: Is this the check-in desk?  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Joe Botting

• Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The world of the trilobites
Is this the check-in desk?
« on: November 19, 2006, 12:23:19 pm »
Hello from another new arrival. It seems to be traditional to say something about who we are, so here goes...
   I'm a palaeontologist (no, seriously), whose only publications so far are in places like Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and in a slightly different style to the things you're all more fond of. I'm trying to get the first of a fantasy trilogy published (nearly finished the second), in the hope that if it finally gets to a publisher, I can justify spending more of my time writing things that have an everage word length of less than seven syllables.
   I've been thinking I ought to get involved with some of the fantasy writing comunities, and you all seem such a generally good bunch of people that I couldn't resist signing up.  ;D

Cheers,
Joe
Another day, another universe to explore...

Offline Chadbourn

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markchadbourn.net
Re: Is this the check-in desk?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 03:04:15 pm »
Hello Joe.  Get involved - we're all very friendly, occasionally curmudgeonly and often drunk.

Troo

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:52:03 pm »
I am, in fact, still drunk from friday night. Probably.

Offline Joe Botting

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 04:34:40 pm »
Excellent!  :D

Is being drunk a requirement? Only, I spend more time looking for wild mushrooms, which will probably one day have the same effect...

Cheers! (Or bon apetit, or whatever...)

Offline Chadbourn

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 04:58:00 pm »
Can I get me some of those? :D

Troo

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 11:51:53 am »
I only believe that being drunk is a requirement once I am actually drunk. At all other times I eschew the foul toxin that is alcohol!  ;D

Offline Joe Botting

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 12:48:28 pm »
Good for you, Troo. Horrible stuff (unless forced apon you, of course, in which case it rapidly becomes bearable).

Oh, and Mark - I really wouldn't trust my mushroom-picking too far. I've not poisoned myself yet, but I've had a good go at it... I just figure the experience will come in handy whenever my village is destroyed by black-cloaked bandits, and I'm forced to wander the wilds in search of a magic sword. It won't be long now, I bet. 

Offline Chadbourn

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 01:57:08 pm »
Yeah, don't you just hate it when that happens?

Bryn Llewellyn

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 04:05:22 pm »
Only two British species are fatal: the Death Cap and the Destroying Angel. Tales of amanita muscaria being poisonous are much exaggerated.

LLEWELLYN

Offline Joe Botting

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 04:28:42 pm »
As I understand it, A. muscaria has an extremely variable amatoxin quotient - some are fine (as I'm sure you know, it's been used by shamans in Scandinavia, as well as to attract reindeer, who love the things), but every now and then they're lethal. There are a variety of other sometimes-deadly Amanita species, like A. gemmata and A. pantherina, and a fair few other British fungi that have definitely caused death (e.g. Clitocybe rivulosa, Boletus satanus, Inocybe patouillardii, Cortinarius speciosissimus, Enteloma sinuatum and Paxillus involutus). We've missed out on the dangerous insects and snakes over here, but we sure make up for it when it comes to fungi.  I don't recommend anyone go collecting them for food in Britain unless they have a pretty good idea of what they're looking for...

Joe the Optimist

Bryn Llewellyn

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 09:59:53 am »
The new television series by that remarkable man Ray Mears on eating wild food should make instructive viewing.

LLEWELLYN

Troo

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 10:28:05 am »
Good old Ray Mears. He's so enthusiastic about putting random things in his mouth and shoving his hands in dirty places!  :o

Offline joshua rainbird

• Whirlpool
  • Barbarian Monarch
  • Overlation stimuload...
    • View Profile
    • myspace/joshuarainbird
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 10:34:26 am »
Good old Ray Mears. He's so enthusiastic about putting random things in his mouth and shoving his hands in dirty places!? :o

I'm a big Mear's fan
but I can't help thinking he's an overgrown boy too chunky for his shorts.  :D
If wishes were horses then we'd all be eating steak.
Jayne Cobb, Firefly.

But ... if fishes were courses then we'd all be eating hake ...

Bryn Llewellyn

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 12:16:16 pm »
Perhaps that is his 'image'. His interest in retaining the ancient, almost-lost knowledge of humanity is commendable. There is a sense in which he is a moral instructor also.

LLEWELLYN

Troo

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 01:32:27 pm »
I think the world needs more overgrown boys after suffering the loss of Steve Irwin.