Join the BFS
Welcome to the BFS website and thank you for thinking of joining us!
Since 1971, the British Fantasy Society has been the focal point for fans, writers, publishers, film-makers, artists… everyone and anyone who is a lover of the fantasy and horror in all their forms.
As a member you’re now part of what we think is the friendliest genre society bar none, a society run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts and one that brings you benefits including:
• The BFS journal featuring new writing, features and reviews, editorials and opinion pieces.
• The e-newsletter.
• Exclusive publications – chap books, anthologies and the like, published exclusively for BFS members and not available anywhere else.
• Free entry into the BFS Short Story Competition.
• Free specialist writing workshops.
• Discounted membership of FantasyCon, the friendliest convention of them all.
• Organised open nights and book launches.
We’re here promoting fantasy and horror all year round so if you have an idea, or want to get more involved, don’t keep quiet. At this website you’ll find a wealth of other information, the forum, news and views and a list of contact emails. Please drop one of us a line with whatever it is you have to say and we promise not to ignore you.
Thank you for wanting to be a member of the British Fantasy Society; I hope you have reason to remain a member for many, many years to come.
‘Whenever a fledgling horror or fantasy writer comes up to me, at a convention or somewhere else, and asks me how they can get their work published, I invariably advise them that their first step should be to join the British Fantasy Society.’
– Stephen Jones, editor of Best New Horror
‘The British Fantasy Society and Fantasycon, its annual convention, are two of the main reasons I’m in this position, doing the job I love. There can be no better way for young writers, artists and editors, starting down this path, to meet and interact with other writers, artists, editors, publishers – in fact, I would urge anyone hoping to make their living within the fantasy and horror genres to join. At once.’
– Jo Fletcher, Publisher, Jo Fletcher Books
Current subscription rates:
- United Kingdom – £35.00 (£40.00 Joint Membership)
- Europe – £45.00 (£50.00 Joint Membership)
- Rest of World – £60.00 (£65.00 Joint Membership)
Joint membership provides just one set of all the publications issued in that year, but the discounts on FantasyCon and other benefits mentioned below apply to both parties. We are also now pleased to offer a paperless membership option.
Simply join by paying via the PayPal option below: