The positions of BFS Treasurer and Web Administrator are both open, and we are actively seeking applications from interested members. These roles are crucial to the well-running of the society, and you will be part of a committee dedicated to keeping the British Fantasy Society at the forefront of fantasy and horror fandom in the UK.
The committee would like to thank Amanda Rutter (outgoing Treasurer) for the outstanding work she has done in preparing the society’s accounts and keeping our finances on an even keel, and Del Lakin-Smith, who has performed his role of Web Administrator to perfection.
No formal qualifications are necessary for either post, though a strong grasp of mathematics is a pre-requisite for the Treasurer role, and the ideal Web Administrator candidate will have the following skills and experience (though support is available):
- In-depth knowledge of WordPress and associated technologies (basic PHP, some MYSQL, plugins, security, backup restore etc).
- Understanding of web technologies and connectivity between social networks (Facebook, Twitter etc).
- Knowledge of email protocols (IMAP, POP3) and administration of email accounts.
- Experience of FTP
- Basic understanding of CMS
- Solid administration experience, testing, monitoring, support of users of the site, problem solving and resolution.
- Online membership knowledge. Review and develop complete online membership system.
- Community management. Ensure posts are categorised correctly, moderate forums and basic user management.
- Post content to the site as and when required.
- Manage forum membership and general forum administration.
- Basic administration of Google Groups
- General tech support for the Committee and members.
- Love of genre fiction.
Applications for either role should be forwarded by email to Lee HarrisÂ – firstname.lastname@example.org