The nominees for the 2011 Sidewise Award for Alternate History have been announced. The Sidewise Awards have been presented annually since 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate historical fiction. This year’s panel of judges was made up of Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper, Jim Rittenhouse, Stu Shiffman, Kurt Sidaway and Steven H Silver.
The nominees are:
- Michael F. Flynn, The Iron Shirts (Tor.com)
- Lisa Goldstein, Paradise Is a Walled Garden (Asimovâ€™s, 8/11)
- Jason Stoddard, Orion Rising (Panverse 3, edited by Dario Ciriello, Panverse Publishing)
- Harry Turtledove, Lee at the Alamo (Tor.com)
- Robert Conroy, Castro’s Bomb (Kindle)
- Robert Conroy, Himmler’s War (Baen Books)
- Jeff Greenfield, Then Everything Changed (Putnam)
- Ian R MacLeod, Wake Up and Dream (PS Publishing)
- Ian McDonald, Planesrunner (Pyr)
- Ekaterina Sedia, Heart of Iron (Prime)
- Lavie Tidhar, Camera Obscura (Angry Robot)
The Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were conceived in late 1995 to honor the best allohistorical genre publications of the year. The first awards were announced in summer 1996 and honored works from 1995. The award takes its name from Murray Leinster’s 1934 short story Sidewise in Time, in which a strange storm causes portions of Earth to swap places with their analogs from other timelines.
This yearâ€™s nominees include previous winners Harry Turtledove (1997, 2002), Michael F. Flynn (2007), Ian R. MacLeod (1998, 2005), and Robert Conroy (2009). Jason Stoddard was previously nominated in 2005. First time nominees include Lisa Goldstein, Jeff Greenfield, Ian McDonald, Ekaterina Sedia and Lavie Tidhar.
The winners will be announced at Chicon 7, this year’s Worldcon, in Chicago, Illinois during the weekend of 30 August 2012.
For more information, see the website HERE